Top shadows for brown eyes

Why do people say brown is the boring eye colour to have? As one of the many people in the world with brown eyes, I think I speak for everyone when I say that brown eyes are beautiful too!

One of my favourite things to do is play up my eyes. If you want to draw attention to your peepers and really make those dark eyes pop, here are a few tried and tested eyeshadows to add to your stash:

From left to right: Quarry, Satin Taupe, Corduroy. (Naked and Buck in palette above)
Β

MAC Quarry: A subtle brown-toned muted purple, this matte shadow works as a lovely defining crease colour and is especially flattering on fair skin tones. I often reach for Quarry as I find that the purple-toned hues in the shadow really compliment my dark eyes and draw attention to them.

MAC Satin Taupe:Β A highly wearable taupe, you can either pair this shimmery shade with a lighter eye look to give it a little oomph or wear it alone all over the lid. It’s a multi-dimensional shadow in the sense that as you blend it can look like you’ve used multiple shadows, even if you’ve just used the one (it’s one of those shades). When paired with Quarry especially, you’ve got a serious power duo.

Urban Decay’s Naked and Buck:Β Both from the original naked palette, these matte beauties are two tones of brown that blend together into the crease like a dream. Used separately or together, Naked and Buck add just the right amount of definition and are especially great if you’re going for the natural look.

MAC Corduroy:Β A rich chocolate brown, when used in the crease Corduroy is a foolproof shade for blending out any kind of neutral shadow. While it’s great for everyday wear, I also find myself reaching for Corduroy when I want to deepen or slightly intensify my look. There are a lot of brown eyeshadows out there, but none that I’ve found that are quite the same rich tone as this one.

Any time I’ve been complimented on my eyes I’ve been wearing either one or more of these shades. Coincidence? I think not. Just some great eyeshadows and savvy blending. Even if you don’t have brown eyes, these are still beautiful shades to try out.

29 responses to “Top shadows for brown eyes”

1. phoebe says:

Thanks for the tips. I'm always on the lookout for beautiful new browns.I'm going to try some of your suggestions.

2. Marielle says:

These are gorgeous shades! I don't have brown eyes but I love wearing shades like this even with my blue eyes πŸ™‚ xx

Love and Marmalade

• They really are beautiful shades, when I was editing the photos for this post I spent a good half hour just staring at the shadows and how nice they looked on camera, haha. Shameful but true! xx

3. Satin Taupe is one of my all time favorite shades, even though my eyes are green.

Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

4. Sometimes I do feel like my brown eyes can be a bit boring, but a good eyeshadow can really change that! These all look like great picks, I love Naked and Buck from the UD palette and I really find that Half Baked works well with my eye colour πŸ™‚ x
    Charlotte's Road

5. Kim Alston says:

I love neutrals. I'm really into them now. It can be so beautiful. Many people think they are boring, but I definitely beg to differ.

Your suggestions for brown eyes are fantastic – though I have blue eyes and don't often wear eyeshadow, I have always loved brown or gold/copper tones on those with brown eyes πŸ™‚

7. great suggestions, i've always been loving natural and dark shades

xx from Italy
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope | youtube

8. These are all beautiful shades! I love the look of Satin Taupe! I really need to start collecting some MAC eye shadows!

Jasmine | jasminehardingmakeup.com

9. Zeynab M says:

I love purple colours for brown eyes, I am definitely going to check the MAC eyeshadows they look really pretty and really wearable.
    Zeynab x
    The Beauty Load

• I'm with you there, I've found all types of shades of purple on my brown eyes to look really flattering. Plus purple is my favourite colour, so I guess I'm a bit bias…haha

10. Tonya Smith says:

This is such a great post! I have been wanting to try different makeup out and I have brown eyes!!

11. Emily says:

Yesss I needed this post! I've always envied those with green eyes because they get the prettiest eye shadow shades but I must say, these are pretty drop dead gorgeous as well πŸ˜‰ Thanks for this! x

Emily // Lynde Avenue

12. I looooooove these colours – they're so pretty and compliment all eye colours too! I'm a dark eyed girl and when autumn hits these are the shades I go for πŸ™‚

13. Thanks for the tips! I have brown eyes and love using gold eyeshadow. It just makes them POP!

14. Sara says:

All the Mac shades you have mentioned above are so pretty and definitely compliment all skin tones but sadly I have not been in love with my Naked palette recently. I just don't get usage out of it and I am not even drawn towards it either but so many people do love that palette. I love amberlight by mac to use on it's own on the inner corner of my eye, adds a great pop of colour.

• I used to not really see the hype of the naked palette either but I started using the matte shades a lot more and smog/darkhorse to deepen the crease or smudged as liner and that converted me! I love the lightest shade in my inner corner as well.

I actually recently got Amber Lights from MAC and have no idea how to incorporate it into my makeup, so I'll try your suggestion πŸ™‚

15. I can't remember if I've commented on this post but all your shades are stunning and absolutely perfect for this time of year especially – love them all and you can create a variety of looks for the day and to the evening by adding (and smudging) eyeliner to the outer corners of the eyes!

Love it all πŸ™‚

16. Love it! My good friend has brown eyes and I think they're beautiful! I have blue eyes and can't really decide what shades work best for me, but maybe I'll try a gold or light brown shade sometime.

Savannah