Weekly Highlights (#2)- 30.07.15

It’s that time again, where I sum up the week in a ‘best of’ type post, saving you from spending the hours I have searching the net, watching videos and other such productive/unproductive tasks…oops.

(Drum roll please!) Here are the highlights of the week:

Top Youtuber to check out: ViviannaDoesMakeup
Anna (the brains behind the channel) has definitely been my go-to youtuber of late. Sometimes I get bored of watching just makeup videos or just fashion videos or just cat videos (what?), but with this channel the content varies between makeup, food, fitness, fashion and vlogs so there’s always something to keep me interested. Anna’s got the knowledge down-pat and with that witty sense of humour? Each video leaves me informed and also entertained in a light-hearted kind of way.

Top TV show to watch: Daredevil (Exclusive to Netflix)
A US series, Marvel’s Daredevil follows Matt Murdock who is an attorney by day, vigilante by night. Blinded as a child, Matt uses his heightened senses to fight crime, all in the name of saving his city.
I should probably start by saying that I’ve never much been interested in the worlds of comic books. Sure, I’m a fan of the X-Men films and I’ve seen Spider-man, but I’ve always felt comic book related TV shows just wouldn’t be up my alley…I was wrong! Turns out I love practically anything with a good mix of fantasy, mystery, costumes and kick ass fight scenes. While Daredevil can move a little slowly at times, it’s got a strong cast and a compelling storyline. Definitely give it a watch, especially if you’re a fan of The CW’s Arrow or The Flash.

Top book to read: Yes Please by Amy Poehler
After reading Tina Fey’s Bossypants I practically ran to the bookstore to pick up Yes Please. I love the dynamic relationship between Fey and Poehler and my inner nosy person really wanted to read both of their books to find out more. Yes Please is a very easy read, each chapter filled with stories about Amy’s upbringing, improv experiences, SNL, parenting and everything in between. The entire book is sprinkled with Amy’s humour and I found myself laughing out loud more than a few times while reading. If you want a light-hearted book that will make you smile, look no further.

Top beauty product: Urban Decay Naked Palette (Original)
Ah, an oldie but a goodie. After the hype on this product died down I honestly forgot about it for a while, but now my love has been rekindled. Those neutral shades, that colour pay off, the creaminess of the shadows and great everyday matte and shimmery shades all thrown into one? I’m sold.

What have you been loving this week?

47 responses to “Weekly Highlights (#2)- 30.07.15”

1. phoebe says:

Hi.
    Thanks, I'll be having a look at a few of those suggestions. I like Amy P's book too – love a good laugh.
    Keep up the great suggestions.

2. veebz boo says:

Great picks! I only have the Naked3 palette, and they aren't that creamy for me. Maybe I should try this palette, as it sounds great.

3. I absolutely love this sort of post!!! Definitely will be trying out to post something like this soon!!!

4. Larissa says:

I love Anna's videos, she's my favorite youtuber! Also her makeup style is super relatable and not crazy 🙂

ibelieveinrosa.blogspot.com

5. Kelsey Watts says:

I just sent this to myself so I can remember to go and check out that Youtuber tonight!
    Happy Friday!!
    Kelsey x
    Kelstagram

• I think you'll really enjoy watching her videos, she's great!
      (PS, tried to click on your 'Kelstagram' link at the end of your comment but the link was empty)

6. Jodie Moores says:

Vivianna does makeup is brilliant, one of my favourite YouTubers! The only UD palette I own is the Naked 1 and I love it, definitely my favourite out of all three (although I'm yet to try the smoky) x

7. Anna Jane says:

I absolutely loved Yes Please! The audiobook was really great. For me, the highlight of the week was Wet Hot American Summer hitting netflix! YAY

Anna | http://www.emptysundays.com

8. I'd love to read Yes Please! It's on the top of my reading list so it's good to know you enjoyed it. And Anna is pretty much the only YouTuber I watch these days!

alittlesoapbox.com

• Definitely give it a read, I think you'll really enjoy it. To be honest I can't imagine anyone who could read something written by Amy Poehler and not like it!

9. Harija says:

Amazing post, can't wait to read the next one!!
    Thanks a bunch for your support on my blog,I am glad you liked my recent post on memories:
    MyLyfeMyStory

10. Love these types of post- I get so much inspiration from them! I am loving House of Cards (almost finished season 3) mint choc chip ice cream and Go Set A Watchmen by Harper Lee. 🙂

11. Tia Katarina says:

I need to add this to my ever-growing list of things I have to watch! Im also not a fan of comic-type stuff but this sounds really good. I love all the Urban Decay palettes, they are such classics!

Tia | at0ut.blogspot.co.uk

• Definitely give it a watch, to be honest I thought I would find all the comic-related shows (Daredevil, Arrow, The Flash) really boring, but in the end they're some of my favourites!
      I think you just have to get through the first couple of episodes where things can be a little cliche, then it's all uphill from there. Hope you enjoy!

12. My friend is obsessed with this naked pallete. I'm seeing it everywhere it must be meant to be 🙂

katieappleyard.com

13. Victoria Ann says:

Absolutely loving this post, great work 🙂

14. Alice Young says:

I LOVE Anna's YouTube channel and her blog! I also reaalllyyy want to get the first Naked palette, I have the second one but I think I much prefer the look of the shades in the first.

The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

15. bryony grace says:

I'm always looking for new things to watch on net flix I've never heard of dare devil before but will have to check it out x http://coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

16. Ana Vicioso says:

I also love Anna's youtube channel! Trust her opinion when it comes to skincare!

Ana Vicioso

• So many Anna fans, love it! Thanks for the tip, have been looking for some new skincare bits so I'll definitely pay extra attention to products she recommends 🙂

Ah, I'm STILL yet to add the Naked palette to my collection.. though considering I only have one palette I barely use at this point, I don't have much faith in myself haha 😉 Have a lovely week!

• Yeah I'm definitely a sucker for palettes, I have quite a few that I don't use though…I think I just got suckered into buying them because they're so nice to look at! :

18. Emily says:

Anna is AMAZING! And so is that Naked Palette, I've been lusting after it for awhile with no luck 🙁 Awesome post and great blog! x

Emily // Lynde Avenue

19. Tanya Stone says:

I love this segment you have created!

20. ida says:

i love watching ViviannaDoesMakeup too! I love how her makeup is always so minimal and fresh!

21. I love this post – it's so cute and Anna really knows her stuff, love her videos! 🙂

22. I've been watching Anna from Viviannadoesmakeup for ages- she's so good. Completely agree that the original UD Naked palette is by far the best! xx

franklyflawless.com