Travel Diary: The Weekend Getaway

This week I was lucky enough to nip down to one of my favourite places, Bright. Nestled away in the Northeast of Victoria, Bright is what I like to call my happy place.
After a spur of the moment decision last week made by a lovely family member of mine, I quickly found myself packing my things into a large small bag and on my way to the countryside. The journey there was a fairly painless drive, made enjoyable by Michael Jackson’s greatest hits CD on repeat.
Once we arrived in Bright we took a short stroll through the town and then parked ourselves right by the river and soaked in some nature’y goodness.
Breakfast the next morning was at the cutest little cafe called the Ginger Baker. Even though it was fairly cold outside it was nice and toasty inside the cafe, isn’t that the greatest feeling? Actually no, the greatest feeling was when I inhaled my breakfast; ricotta hotcakes with blueberry compote, maple syrup and pecans. I’m literally beginning to salivate just thinking about it, I could definitely go for some more of those hotcakes right about now!

The agenda for the day was a drive to Beechworth, a historic town that was all the rage during the gold rush days. Even though it’s winter the weather held out long enough for us to walk around the town and peruse the shops without getting rained on. Beechworth is fairly famous for its bakery but for me I’m all about the old sweet shop. There’s something so enjoyable about walking into a colourful shop filled with all your favourite childhood sweets. One lady literally squealed when she walked in, so it goes to show how exciting lollies and chocolates can be. Mmmm, sugar coma.

Once we left Beechworth the rest of our time in Bright was spent doing the things I love the most: relaxing, eating delicious food, reading, watching Netflix, taking photos, writing and eating some more delicious food.

On the morning of the bittersweet journey back home we woke up to a hilarious ‘typically Australian’ sight: Kangaroos in the backyard of our accommodation. I say ‘typically Australian’ because I’ve had some overseas relatives assume that down under we all have Kangaroos as pets, keep them in our backyards and ride them to school or something. Obviously I set them straight and told them we definitely do not have Kangaroos in our backyards and we don’t ride them to school, we only ride them on special occasions.Β Anyway, waking up to the sight of Kangaroos was lovely as it’s not something you see everyday.
Before we headed back home, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to walk by the river one last time and take a few snaps (typical blogger move).
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, I love Bright. Well actually, any chance for a little escape (and hotcakes) and I’m in.

Where are your favourite places to escape to?

52 responses to “Travel Diary: The Weekend Getaway”

Wow, that makes me feel like packing my bags and going right now.

2. Sarah says:

All of that candy looks DELICIOUS!

xx,
    Sarah

3. Sophie says:

This post makes me want autumn to hurry up and get to the northern hemisphere! As someone who has never been remotely near Australia, it's strange to see Kangaroos against such a wintery backdrop, they're always in sunny and sandy areas in the pictures I see!

4. I love little weekend get aways. This placed looks like the perfect place to relax and that food looks delicious.

Samio

5. Marissa says:

All the candy looks so good! This makes me even more excited for autumn! πŸ™‚

marissalev.blogspot.com

6. I am a bit of a homebody but I just adore the lake right by my house πŸ™‚ It's the Bath Spa campus but is actually where Prince Charles was going to buy, before he chose Hygrove! Bit of a Royal connection there πŸ™‚ This does look so beautiful and calming, with trees, a cute cafe and a dog (optional) you can't go wrong for me!

Ps: you can't really see it but from what i can i LOVE the satchel in the first photo x

Writing Possibility

• Wow that's a really interesting story! I wish I had a lake right by my house, that sounds amazing (especially if it freezes over in winter and you can ski on it?).

Thank you, the bag is from Urban Outfitters a few years ago πŸ™‚

I've never heard of this place before, though I'm happy for the introduction! You've shown the area wonderfully and the selection of sweets at that shop is incredible – I'd have not been able to leave without taking at least two or three packs home with me haha! πŸ™‚

• haha yes! I definitely walked out of there with one too many sweets….
      Not too many people have heard of Bright, I think it's a little bit of a hidden gem πŸ™‚

8. Lou says:

This is so lovely and your pictures are really beautiful! xx

louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk

9. Anna Jane says:

I try not to eat sweets, but gosh I'm craving them like crazy after seeing your gorgeous pictures!

Anna | http://www.emptysundays.com

10. Hannah Lucy says:

What a lovely looking trips, great photos! And that breakfast has made me so hungry right now haha!

11. Tanya Stone says:

All those lollies look amazingly delicious xx

12. Kristina says:

OMG the candy shop looks amazing!! My favorite escape place is a small cafe in downtown.
    xo Kristina
    TheKontemporary

13. Robbi says:

This is such a lovely post, I love your photos. The sweet jars look especially adorable xo

14. Charlotte says:

Your photography is incredibly good!
    Charlotte // charbeautypicks.blogspot.com

15. Beautiful beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a lovely time xx

16. beautful photos! looked like an amazing get away

lifeisashoe

17. my parents live in a quite rural location and when i lived with them i really didn't like it but now that i live in the city its nice to come back home where its quite and peaceful.
    β₯

loovelle.blogspot.com

18. These pictures are so lovely!! All of that candy is making me hungry!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

19. It's always really nice to get away for a little bit and leave all your stresses behind – I tend to go away to the sea or have a city break somewhere…..

Really beautiful photos! πŸ™‚

• Love going anywhere by the seaside and exploring the city can be really enjoyable too, guess it just depends on the mood. Really though, as you said I think any little get away is nice πŸ™‚

20. Mantenso says:

Such beautiful photography and scenes!
    Sounds like a lovely little trip, breakfast looked amazing,
    Mantenso xx
    She's AbouThat Life

21. Gorgeous photos! I have never been there before but it looks well worth visiting one day. My favorite place to escape to is Sevilla, I've only been there once before but I was in a rough period in my life at the time I went to Sevilla and it brought back all of the happiness.

x- Naomi in Wonderland

• Thank you! I completely get what you mean, I love that you can escape somewhere and either experience something new and exciting or be flooded back with happy memories of previous times you've been there.

22. Sara Nielsen says:

This looks like a great place and the candy, wow!

23. The Ginger Baker looks so lovely and all those sweets! They look so good

Emma emhasrednails

24. Danielle says:

it looks amazing, loving the food photos!

danielle | avec danielle

25. I'm heading back to the countryside soon. I love the peace and quiet for a few days to get rested then I can return to the big smoke with a clear head.
    Great photos.

Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

26. Just to add – I want a sweetie! Hahaha πŸ™‚

27. Jaymie says:

those sweets look delissssh.