Travel Diary: Echuca

I love travelling, it’s one of my all time favourite things to do. Here’s the thing though, despite the fact that I’ve travelled across five different continents, one place I haven’t really seen that much of is the country I actually live in.

Australia is a big country and while I’ve been to a few of the usual tourist destinations there is still so much I haven’t seen. I don’t know if this happens to anyone else, but do you ever feel like tourists sometimes end up seeing more of where you live than you do? It’s almost as if I feel like Australia will always be there to explore, so I may as well leave it and travel somewhere else?
In an effort to see more of my own country I’ve been taking a few little trips here and there. Most recently I set my sights on Echuca; a Victorian town that’s situated by the banks of the Murray River (Australia’s longest river, for you non Aussies).
The drive to Echuca was really pleasant, we passed lots of country towns and some amazing yellow fields. I don’t know if they were canola crops, flowers or weeds- but they were beautiful!

By the time we arrived all the shops were starting to close up, so we walked for a few hours around the town as the sun was setting. It was really lovely exploring Echuca at dusk, usually by that time at home I’m already makeup free, in pyjamas and not going anywhere without some serious groaning.
Naturally while exploring I made mental notes of any food places that looked good for either dinner that night or breakfast the next morning. Priorities.

The next day we decided a walk along the Murray River was in order. The Murray is filled with house boats and old fashioned paddle steamers which were a real treat to see, it’s not every day I see a working paddle steamer. While walking we came across this strange tree and I knew I had to take a photo immediately…

Turns out the tree started when a local man nailed a lost thong (flip flop) to the tree hoping the owner would come back and claim it. The owner didn’t collect the thong and from then on, people have just kept adding!
After walking down a back road we stumbled across a street that was like a blast from the past. Dirt roads, horse drawn carriages, a homemade fudge shop, blacksmith, wood-maker and a cottage that sold tea and biscuits? Yes please. For my Australian readers out there, this ‘old town’ part of Echuca was basically like being at Sovereign Hill, except free of charge.

We all know it wouldn’t be one of my travel diaries without some delicious food included. Before making the drive home we stopped by a cafe called Johnny and Lyle where I had the porridge of all porridges; creamy oats with cinnamon stewed apples and a walnut crumble. Yum.

While I was only in Echuca for a short while, I know I’ll be back (anyone else always read that in the Terminator’s voice?). Next time around there are steam boat rides, nature walks and a ghost tour that I definitely want to do. Until next time, Echuca!

65 responses to “Travel Diary: Echuca”

1. Echuca sounds like a quaint & beautiful place to visit. The flip flop tree is really interesting. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

Really enjoyed reading the travel diary. I agree with you about often missing out on being a tourist in your own country or even your own state and nearby areas. Sometimes I like putting on my 'tourist eyes" in local places that I often go to and am surprised at how many things I have not noticed before.

3. Amy Megan says:

I love the flip flop tree! Looks like such a lovely place to visit.

fourcatsplusus.co.uk – Amy

4. I'd love to see more of Australia! I definitely feel like tourists have seen more of the country than I have, I just feel like I need someone to plan little weekends away with but I suppose there's nothing stopping me going on my own.

jessica – littlehenrylee.com

• Little trips and weekends away are my favourite way to explore. I think it's great going on your own but it's definitely always fun to share the experience with another person too. I rope in friends, family members, whoever!

5. What a bunch of great photos! I really liked the tree with the flipflops. It's a funny story as well.

N- Naomi in Wonderland

6. Stacey-Lea says:

I'm coming with you on your next trip to Echuca for two reasons:
    One, that porridge is screaming my name.
    Two, ghost tour, yes please!

7. Lovely post! I am such a fan of all travel-related posts. I am from the US which is also a really big country so needless to say, I haven't even seen 80% of it! Echuca looks really lovely and I am glad you were able to visit someplace in your own country that you hadn't visited before and that flipflop tree is absolutely amazing.

Rae | Love from Berlin

• If I feel overwhelmed trying to explore Australia I can only imagine how it'd be if I lived in the US. Saying that, there is so many places in the US I want to see!

8. Such a lovely place, the flip flops tree is so unique, it is really amazing!

9. Kaitie C says:

The flip flop tree is very cool and unique. I've never seen anything like that, but it's pretty cool how one man's kind gesture turned into a trend!

10. What a great travel diary. I love all the photos, especially the one of the flip flop trees

Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

11. I love the post! Your blog is just amazing:)

12. Laura says:

Echuca looks like a lovely town! I have travelled a lot through the east of Australia but would love to go to WA and NT one day.

Laura | Breton & Blush

13. Australia is one of the countries that I so want to visit, I even thought about moving to Australia because I was so obsessed with it (my now fiance stopped me…) Echuca looks like a really nice Victorian town, it is really good to explore where you live. Like you said Australia is such a big country and I am sure there are so much to see! xx

14. sara says:

I love your photos. Place looks fab though!

15. Charlotte says:

Your photos were really good, really interesting the flip flop tree I thought that was quite cool!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

16. Love your photos! Traveling is also one of my favorite things I love experiencing new things and discovering new places 🙂

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

This was such a brilliant travel post – I love the photo of you in the striped top looking up at the sign! You're not alone in having not explored much of your country, I only started amending things on that front (for England) a couple of years ago!

• It feels good to finally be seeing more of my home country, I think it makes me appreciate it more. Saying that, I'd obviously still jump at the opportunity to travel anywhere else out of the country as well!

18. Elisa Z says:

Loved the post. That tree flip flop thing is such a weird thing haha.

19. Kristina says:

Looks like a great trip! I really wanna go to Australia one time…
    ♡ Kristina
    TheKontemporary

20. This looks so lovely! I hope you had a great time!
    I need one of these trips. 🙂 xx

-Mitzee

mitzeeruth.blogspot.com

21. Australia is massive. You never really give it much thought until you pass suburbia and into the bush. I'm always yearning for places abroad yet never give much thought to my own backyard. Shame, because I'm obviously missing out. Never really gave much thought to Echuca before either, but your post has me completely intrigued. Especially that thong tree. I don't know why put I have a weird desire to just go there and leave my own mark.

Sxx

• Exactly, I think it's crazy how you drive about an hour out and all of a sudden you're in the bush. Echuca came on my radar because of my sister but before that I was completely clueless about the place. Obviously from this post you could probably tell how happy I am that I went!

22. Rach Dulay says:

So crazy how we all forget about our own home and how much it has to offer! I'm loving what I'm seeing and sounds like you had an awesome time exploring!

23. I totally get what you mean about not seeing much of your own country. 26 countries later and I haven't even been to that many States in America, haha. It's great that you're getting out and enjoying your country though. This city looks so quaint and lovely! I'd definitely love to visit. I'll have to add it to my bucket list then!

Sartorial Diner

24. This is such a beautiful post and I really love all your photos and they way you capture the vibrancy from the place, the energy and just everything looks lovely!!

I'd love to see more posts like these as you really are passionate about the places that you visit and I love how it's a flash from the past – it's nice to see that there are still places that you can visit like this….don't think there's anything like that in the UK which would be nice!

Ah – this has made me want to go travelling now hahaha

25. Bash Harry says:

Oh Echuca looks absolutely beautiful! i love the photos you took, it just highlights the nature and green scenery. Wow. The thong tree (I laughed way too much) has such a wonderful little story to it! Wow! <3

xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

26. Summer says:

Really nice photos babe♥♥

summerdaisy.net

27. Immy May says:

Oooh this looks dreamy. I love the flip flop tree! Definitely added to the travel bucket list. Immy x

28. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.
    dubai concierge