The Treat Yourself Day

You know that mood you get in when you’re feeling crappy and it feels like there’s a black cloud hanging over your life? It usually happens to me when I’m stressed or feeling overwhelmed, but sometimes that mood just comes around like an unwelcome neighbour when you least expect it, and it feels like a slap in the face. Yeah, not so enjoyable.
When I’m in one of these moods my favourite way to lift my spirits is to treat myself. I won’t buy myself a Porsche or anything but I’ll definitely indulge in a little massage, a trip to the hairdressers (it’s been way too long) or a sneaky online purchase. Call me vain or call me crazy, but it’s what genuinely makes me feel happier.

I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately and usually my go-to ‘treat yourself’ move is to give my nails a quick file and a fresh coat of polish, but after being contacted by Vaniday and offered a voucher for a salon treatment of my choosing I felt like it was some kind of cosmic sign that I should take a step back from things, treat myself and throw my hands in the air like I just don’t care. So I threw my nail file out the window (not really, my Manicare nail file is the bomb.com) and hopped on the Vaniday Website to book myself something special.

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock because Vaniday has dedicated websites for Australia, the UK, U.S, Italy, France, Russia and Brazil yet I only found out about them recently.

For those who don’t know, Vaniday lets you pick from a bunch of different beauty services and salons and book everything online. Each salon has a profile so before you book anything you can check out prices ahead of time, suss out store photos, see all available appointment slots and even see which staff work which days (perfect if you’re a control freak like me).

I loved booking online, mainly because it means avoiding what I like to call the ‘long awkward phone call’ between me and a salon where we go back and forth a million times trying to find an appointment slot that’s open and actually suits me. “No, that 12.04pm appointment on Friday doesn’t work for me…what about 1pm Wednesday? Oh, That’s booked too?” Ain’t nobody got time for that.

In the end I chose to book myself a princess treatment pedicure at the Hand Spa Concept Salon in the city because A.) the salon looked nice, B.) my feet are fine but I can’t say touching them is something I enjoy doing and C.) the salon only uses OPI products so I felt like I’d be getting some quality polish.

I headed into the salon on a Monday at midday, popular time right?

Before my pedicure I got to pick the shade I wanted from a gloriously large wall of OPI polishes and a bunch of nail swatches. I landed on the bold red ‘Tasmanian Devil Made Me Do It’ which is an old favourite. An oldie but a goodie.

I loved that there were so many shades to choose from in a brand I actually know and trust. I hate when you treat yourself to a manicure/pedicure and then you’re made to pick from 20 unappealing shades of polish from brands you’ve never heard of…

The treatment itself went for about 45 minutes but it felt like 5, why couldn’t time have gone that quickly when I was in school?!

I have to say, getting my feet massaged, scrubbed and soaked in a mini spa before having my toe nails painted was glorious. Plus, have you seen what comes off your heels when they use a pumice to rub off all the dead skin? ‘Ew’ would be an understatement, as the pumice was rubbing off the dead skin it was creating a disturbing ‘snow-like’ effect. That’s definitely something I have no desire to do myself!

Needless to say that as I sat down with my feet up (literally) while someone tended to my tootsies, I definitely felt like the queen of the castle.

This was my first time booking a salon treatment entirely online and pre-paying. After the pedicure was done it did feel a little strange to just walk out of the place without whipping out my wallet, but strange in a good way. My toenails were shiny, my spirits lifted and my feet as soft as a baby’s butt so it was a win win all round.

I don’t often do things like this but it’s inspired me to have ‘treat yourself’ days more often. A very wise woman or a L’Oreal ad once said, “You’re worth it” and it’s true. So whether you’re uber stressed or just looking to add an extra kick into your week, consider taking some time out to treat yourself. As I’m writing this I’m actually eyeing up a few other treatments to get in future…

137 responses to “The Treat Yourself Day”

1. What a stunning colour. I love red nails!

Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

2. Yes, a pamper and a little bit of a shopping really neutralizes the frustrated mood! Great post!

Chaste & Beautiful

3. Ooh this is such a gorgeous nail colour for toes! And the Vaniday website sounds so good – nothing beats a bit of a pamper when you are feeling run down and feeling low, it always manages to cheer me up 🙂 x
    Charlotte's Road

4. I love this post! I am all about treating yourself and I agree, retail therapy is totally a type of therapy! When I'm having a crappy day I will always give myself a special treat, get my nails done or do something that will cheer me up.

Hope you're having a better day today x

Margarita Chi | MARGARITACHI.CO

5. A little pamper session always boosts my mood. This is such a stunning shade and looks great on.

Keisha xo
    The Chrysalis Gal

6. Rumela says:

Such a lovely color your feet look so pretty .
    My blog: RumelaTheShopaholic

7. Rissie Blog says:

I so related to this post and completely agree! It's important to have days where you treat yourself. Plus- this is a gorgeous color 🙂

• I feel the same way, I think we often feel guilty when we do things like this just for ourselves, but you're right that it's so important to do it at least once in a while 🙂

8. Ellen Bourne says:

Love your photos!

9. Wow such a perfect treatment! Your nails are so gorgeous in that OPI red!! ^-^
    I checked on the website but unfortunately in my vicinity is not available any beauty salon 🙁
    HAve a lovely day!

10. Thats exactly how feel when I do my meni-pedi. I feel that the whole session of 60 minutes ended in like 6 minutes. But Thanks for sharing I loved reading your post.
    xoxo

Anam xoxo | ksabeautyhaul.blogspot.com

11. This is so lovely and it's always nice to treat yourself! It makes a difference and really does make you feel better too! So cute, loving this post!!!

Hope you're well and having a wonderful week so far 🙂

Layla x

12. Lovely post! I didn't know about Vaniday either but, since I live in France I would definitely use it, it seems to be a great way to avoid every awkward moment which always seem to happen when we go to a salon, hairdresser…, I like this colour as well, it really compliments your pale skin!

13. Jenny says:

Beautiful photos 🙂 loved this post and you've picked the perfect polish for December! You can't go wrong with red xx

Jenny | http://www.krystelcouture.com

14. You're just like me! Haha. Love the nail polish shade! 🙂

15. Marie says:

beautiful nail polish totally up my street 🙂

16. Laura Scott says:

Your toes look so happy in their orange nail varnish 🙂 A lovely shade and you clearly have very HAPPY FEET 🙂 http://www.shehearts.net xx

17. I love a good 'Treat Yo Self' day! Your photos are amazing too!

18. Oh, this sounds like such a lovely experience. Everybody needs a little "me time" once in a while, and enjoying a pedicure sounds like the BEST way to do that! Girl, I think you've just inspired me, haha.

Stephanie ● Sartorial Diner

19. Whenever I'm about to purchase something that I know I probably shouldn't buy (i.e., I really can't afford it), I always justify the purchase with "treat yo'self."
    Ha ha, good on you for finding the time to relax! We all deserve it every once in a while.

-Alex
    A Northern Light

20. Feel like I must be living under a rock too, because this is the first I've heard of Vaniday! But it is an amazing idea and something I'll perhaps have to look into, either for myself or even as a gift for someone.
    When I'm having a hard day usually my solution is to go to bed, which is kind of pathetic, but I did actually do my nails yesterday as a solution so I'm thinking of new avenues!

Kyah – http://www.weekendtempo.com

• I don't think that's pathetic! If I'm feeling really really down sometimes I find the best thing to do is to actually take a nap or something and just wake up with a refreshed perspective.

Just looking at my toe nails and feet right now and me thinks I need some pampering. I get annoyed with the phone talk back and forth trying to find a time that suits too. I'm a very visual person and think better when I can see the options available in front of me. Will have a look at that Vaniday site and see if anything tickles my fancy. BTW I love the photo of the OPI color swatches ( the fake nails swatches)- it makes me feel the excitement of a kid in a lolly shop – so many choices and colors

• Choosing from the huge wall of OPI polishes definitely made me feel like a kid in a candy store, perfect example there! I think you should treat yourself to a pedicure as well, you'll love it! 🙂

22. This looks awesome! It's so important to treat yourself every once in a while. I love the shade you picked out too! Only OPI polish definitely sounds like a great idea to me!
    xo Kiki

23. I didn't know about Vanaday!! I've been living under a rock or what! Thank you so much for sharing!

Beatriz // Classy and Trendy

24. This sounds so good and you picked such a great salon. I can imagine it would take me ages to decide which nail colour to choose! x

franklyflawless.com

25. veebz boo says:

I love this idea when you're feeling down! It's always so nice to just take some time out for you, especially in these busy and stressful months. Also your nail colour is gorgeous and the nail salon look amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/veebzboo – FASHION HAUL

26. ella grace says:

I am dreaming of a good pamper. I will indulge myself on my holiday as the past few weeks had been manic. Xx

eLLa
    every LiTTLE thing07

27. Beautiful photos! Everyone deserves a lovely day to relax and treat themselves! XO

Courtney | Courtselizabeth | Instagram

28. I love the nail polish color~! It's super pretty <33

29. Filipa says:

Ah, it sounds like you had such a good time! 🙂 I've never actually gotten a pedicure (I'm too ticklish, I can't imagine how that would go) but I do love pampering myself. It's sort of a way to get back to your body after a roll of stressful days and nights and say "thank you, you deserved this". Also, OPI nail polish names make me giggle.

30. super cool and super usefull post! The nail polish color is so pretty<3

purpleglasses22.blogspot.com

31. khaira khan says:

Like you, my go-to for a treat myself day is a pedicure. I wished there was Vaniday near where I am. Would be so helpful and convenience.

32. great post! loving the idea of a treat yourself day!

lifeisashoe

33. Great post! I love a good 'treat yourself' day 😀 I love the colour you chose 🙂

VioletDaffodils

I can imagine how odd it must have felt pre-paying and so walking out without handing anything over, though like you said, in a good way! I love the colour you chose and I can understand why you chose this salon thanks to the OPI shades used 🙂

35. Love this post! Beautiful photos too! xo

36. When I am having one of these down days, instead of treating myself with mani/pedi, I eat useless stuff! Your way is actually better than my way 🙂 Tasmanian devil made me do it is a gorgeous shade and I LOVE the name of it 🙂

37. Lauren Maria says:

Little treats are an easy way to perk yourself up. I always like to have my toe nails painted, great colour too
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

38. I just painted my nails today myself but it is much nicer to have someone else do it for me lol. Love the colour on your toes!

39. I've never heard of Vaniday, but I love the concept! That color is stunning, by the way! 😉

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

40. touchofcurl says:

I love this! I've never heard of Vainday, but everyone should relax and treat themselves sometimes!!'

xoxo http://www.touchofcurl.com

41. wheetnee says:

Your pedicure looks pro! And…now I'm going to paint my nails :)..

Macarons and Mischief

42. You have lovely cute toes! <3

x, Kat of Nested Thoughts
    Follow me! // Instagram // Twitter // Facebook // Snapchat: katherineannika

43. Love the colour! I always find getting my nails done makes everything that little bit better!

ARABELLA.CO.UK

44. Awesome post! I think it is so important to have days set aside entirely for yourself all about treating yourself! I have been in a bit of a rut lately myself, so I am working on focusing on a lot of self care at the moment! Hope taking a day for yourself brightened up your mood! And you are so right, we ARE worth it!

Rae | Love from Berlin

• I loved this comment so much, I agree with everything you've said! We're all willing to spoil other people but then we hesitate when it comes to spoiling ourselves? Makes no sense!

45. cindyhyue says:

This sounds like SUCH a treat, how lucky of you! It's great to take the time to treat and pamper ourselves. Also, that nail collection selection – ah-mazing, and love that they have nail swatches ready for you so you know as well. Hope you get more opportunities to do this again in the future 🙂

Cindy | http://www.cindyhyue.com

46. angelina says:

I love the color you picked out! I haven't gotten my nails done in the longest time, but I remember it as being a really nice, relaxing experience. It's crazy how much stuff we can do online now! It definitely makes things a lot easier now.

Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

47. Summer says:

Your nails look so pretty ♥

summerdaisy.net

48. faith pierce says:

This sounds like the ideal treat yourself day! I love it, especially how easy it is to do all of the booking online.
    Your polish color is perfect too!

49. Gorgeous nail color. So important to have treat yourself days. I'm trying to make more time for that, especially this month!:)

~Krisztina

50. Claire Liu says:

The nail color looks great! The winter weather condition can cause some damage to feet so definitely need to take care of them!

Claire | vonvogue.com

51. stylehue says:

I know what you mean about having off days.. I have them to once in a while, and it always helps me to get a little pick me up 🙂 I usually do like you, buy a new little something something. Like a new lipstick or get a coffee at my fave place, or just take some time off to watch a movie <3

It's so cool that you can book online. That saves a lot of hassle! I also really love the color you ended up picking. I'm not a true red person.. I like an orange red color 🙂

Hope you will feel less stress after your day 🙂

xo

52. Tiffany Legg says:

That's such a great service, especially for gifts! Great choice of polish colour.

Tiffany Tales – A British Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

53. Kat says:

You know what I'm doing right now?
    I'm treating myself in front of the TV 🙂
    Because I'm worth it 😀
    Thanks for the post!

Kat

54. Helen Chik says:

You know what? Good on you for knowing when to treat yourself and finding the time for yourself girl! I always find that I am swept up in all this madness juggling blogging and full time work!

Hope you're feeling better though girl! Always here to listen – just shoot me an email xx

On another note – just uploaded my skydiving video on the weekend on the blog and would love to hear your thoughts xx Have you been before?

Helen

55. I love those nail polish. Yes for treating ourselves we need it!
    Xo, Christianne

56. Shell says:

I've never heard of Vaniday up until now! Definitely agree with treating ourselves, it's an absolute must. My big treat is the occasional blow-dry or when I get "the works" (i.e. cut, colour, blow-dry), I end up sashaying out of the salon like a model haha.

That wall of OPI polishes *eyes light up*

57. Mary Taylor says:

Wow, that's what I was searching for, what a stuff!Women are always concerned about their nails. I give my nails a makeover with Sakare's nail treatments and am very satisfied with the results.

58. Kiara King says:

It's about time we had a service like this in Australia, huh! I love how easy it is to book everything online now – restaurants, doctors appointments and now pamper sessions! YAY!

Kiara xx // http://www.lioninthewild.com

59. I do love a little pamper session to cheer myself up and get myself out of a funk. Will have to give Vaniday a go! x

VanessaVonJames | Fashion Blog

60. Daniela says:

Loved all the photos and yes, booking everything online is definitely the way to go – hate having to talk on the phone! I hope you're feeling refreshed and are soon out of your funk lovely 🙂

61. Adaleta says:

I love the pamper days, I try to make sure it's at least once a month! xx, adaatude.com

62. ViviHek says:

I have to say I know exactly what you mean. Some days it (at least) feels like you can't do anything right or you fail an exam and you just want to cry, and then you feel stupid for crying about falling an exam (ok maybe that's only me).
    My go to is also always nails! But also – pizza, especially now that I Live in Italy (where we apparently have vaniday!)
    Sammysanscruelty.wordpress.com

• I completely understand that feeling, I'll often cry about something and then feel stupid for letting it upset me that much.

Oh I love Italy! If I lived there I would probably eat pizza everyday!

63. That colour is gorgeous! Pamper days are so important x