How To Refresh Your Life

January is an interesting month for me. I always try to start each year ‘fresh’ and with a new perspective, but sometimes baggage from the former year still weighs me down. To truly enjoy January and embrace the year ahead, I find I first have to make some adjustments to different aspects of my life. Nothing too drastic, but it’s amazing how shaking up your routine and making a few changes can refresh your perspective completely.

After a couple of trial and error situations, here are my favourite ways to hit the metaphorical ‘reset’ button on your life:

MIND-
Take a break from cyberspace and all techy gadgets. Put down the laptop and back away from Twitter and Instagram. If you’re a blogger, try scheduling some posts in advance and just taking a genuine break from it all. Throughout January everyone tends to talk about their plans and goals and if they’re not in line with your own ideals, things can start to feel a little (or a lot) overwhelming. Before you know it, you’re comparing yourself and your life to others and that never leads anywhere good. Pick up a book, draw, paint, organise or do anything else that you find enjoyable that’s not related to cyberspace. Taking tech-breaks like this really helps me to get some perspective because it allows me to hone in on what I want from the year, without being influenced by anyone else and what they’re doing. It also feels amazing to not constantly be looking at screens!

BEAUTY/WARDROBE-
One of my favourite easy ways to re-spark my interest in beauty for the new year is to change up my routine. To get yourself out of the “I use the same 5 products every day” rut, try watching different makeup tutorials on Youtube to get inspired and go from there. It’s funny how doing simple things like rocking a bold lip more often or trying cat-eyed liner can me feel like I’m updating my whole take on beauty.
To refresh your wardrobe, when shopping try on clothes that you may not have gravitated toward right off the bat. By doing this I’ve actually found some clothes that I love, but usually never would’ve picked out for myself in a million years.

SPACE-
I never realise how much my surroundings affect me until I get back from a long trip and everything just feels a little…stale. When I’m in a space and I see the same things arranged in the same way every day, I tend to have the same kinds of thoughts and that really cripples my creativity. To freshen things up you don’t necessarily have to buy anything new, just try rearranging a few pieces here and there, shift around the furniture, switch up the decor or change the pictures on the walls. Switching things up (even just a little) helps me feel much more inspired and less stifled.

BODY-
Just in general, moving your body is supposed to help you to feel refreshed, but if you’re reluctantly doing the same exercises over and over again exercising can start to have the opposite effect. One of the main reasons why I exercise is because of that feeling afterwards. I feel accomplished, more positive, motivated and let’s be real I feel pretty kickass as well (just me?). If you’re not feeling that feeling, then chances are whatever you’re doing probably isn’t right for you and there’s no point carrying on with that for another year. 50 squats? Nope not for me. Running? I wish. Get creative- think boxing, kickboxing, rock climbing, pilates, hiking, martial arts, old school aerobics workouts or line dancing- seriously there’s something for everyone.

SPIRIT-
Travel! I’ve been lucky enough to travel quite a lot in my life and I strongly believe that I wouldn’t be the person I am today without those trips. Each time I go somewhere new, seeing the different cultures, trying different foods, meeting new people and exploring the surroundings honestly makes me feel excited about life, but you don’t have to go half way around the world to feel the same way. I consider going anywhere that’s not your usual surroundings to be travelling, so even if you drive an hour away from home and just go for a walk or try a new cafe, you can still get that buzz of being somewhere new, you just have to be open to it.

They say change is the spice of life, right? Well they must be onto something because shaking up just a few things here and there always helps me to feel refreshed and excited for the year ahead.

What are your favourite ways to ‘refresh’ your life?

153 responses to “How To Refresh Your Life”

1. Fionna says:

one of my favorites is to clean my room. it's so therapeutic when you see your room super clean. and i love watching my shows x

2. I think refreshing your space is an amazing way to start ! Decluttering is another big one for me & if i'm feeling ambitious i'll start a project that i've been putting off for a while. Starting is the hardest part but once you've started it all kinda flows !

3. Yip says:

My favourite is to refresh my room and wardrobe. It's so easy to do and it really feels so different 🙂

4. Viviene Kok says:

Love refreshing my life by giving things away and not gaining back! I don't mean giving old clothes away and buy new ones but totally downsize everything (including furniture) and just go with the minimum left. Add occasional good clothing items to the wardrobe but never heading back to the excessive!

Happy Thursday dear x

Real Life Nerd // http://www.vivienekok.com

• That sounds like a great system. I've been meaning to downsize for the last couple of months but haven't gotten around to it, your comment has inspired me to just get going and do it 🙂

5. Adaleta says:

What a lovely collaborative post, and I really love reading through it. This really helps me! xx adaatude.com

6. Changing one's wardrobe does help to boost the spirit and start fresh in a way!

Heba xx || The Heba

7. thanks for this read. I hope everyone can do this 🙂

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

8. I cannot agree more with your 'Space' tip. Apart from rearranging things, I also try buying a few small accessories that freshen up my apartment. Great post, girl!
    xo
    Siffat

9. I actually love this – such a great post and so uplifting too! It's all about being happy and doing what you want to do! When I want to refresh and get things out of my head I tend to drive somewhere and think about the things that I like, dislike and want to change….

10. I agree at 100% with the space tip. I realized lately that something wasn't right, that something needed to change and guess what ? I needed to re-do the arrangements and decorations of my whole apartment. It's taking a lot time, especially because I'm decluttering room by room but I believe that it's going to be so worthy… Oh and taking a break from social medias, every once in a while is such a good tip too 🙂

Have a lovely day !

xo.TDVR

• I'm currently in the same process as well with my bedroom and it's taking me forever so I completely sympathise. As you said though, it'll be worth it in the end!

11. These were all SUCH good tips!! 🙂 Thank you!

moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

12. I totally agree! One of my fav ways to refresh is to declutter. I find it to be very uplifting.

Keisha xo
    Thechrysalisgal.com

13. ►Nadush says:

Amazing post ! 🙂
    NEW POST! : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS

14. Cloe says:

I loved reading this post! I always love to rearrange my room just so it's a little different and I get such satisfaction from it!
    Cloe X http://www.clxelouise.blogspot.com

15. Nicole Reed says:

Love this post! I am in a "refresh my office" mode. I have decided it is time to take my professional life in the direction of my passions – but what that really means is that my friend and I are fully dedicating ourselves to getting our blog up and running. I feel that with this new focus, it is time to focus my office and make it my creative happy place 🙂

16. welovefur says:

Great post. Well done
    I love your style and your blog too.
    Visit mine if you want
    many kisses

A brilliant guide! I completely agree with not sticking to workout regimes that don't inspire you, life's too short to hate exercise, it's meant to be a joy and not a chore! Have a lovely weekend 🙂

18. Shell says:

I did some decluttering last weekend & I feel better for it! I've had my wardrobe renovated recently & it was nice to be able to start putting stuff in there & seeing just how much storage space I now have (waaay more than I used to). I can't move back into my bedroom just yet, but I can't wait to do so & give that space a total refresh.

19. I've started trying on clothes that I wouldn't usually pick up as well! Even if I don't end up purchasing them, its fun to see how you look in them 🙂

xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

20. I really identify with this post – I have started a new routine for my life as well now that it's a new year and all (I love how motivated I start off the year!).

I loved all of the points you mentioned, especially the ones about choosing clothes that you wouldn't normally wear. My style has changed so much in the last year and I am so conscious when buying clothes now – I don't just splurge on items I will wear once, and I am trying to evolve my style to be more grown up and simplistic.

Thanks for sharing!

Margarita Chi | MARGARITACHI.CO

21. It's so important to take a break from online things and focus on real life. Great tips! 🙂
    xo Kiki

22. Lovely guide! I totally agree with everything you said. It's very important to keep moving and learning in all aspects of our lives <3

23. We are the same on this aspect. I just got back from my vacation and now starting to do most of the things of listed here.
    Xo, Christianne

24. DiagonSally says:

I find just throwing out a whole lot of useless things so refreshing and almost therapeutic. I also like to declutter and sort through all the folders on my computer and phone just to feel that bit more organised. I totally agree with everything you've said, I recently printed off some photos and put them up in my room and the environment just makes me so happy now!

Sally ~ DiagonSally

• I love what you said about decluttering all the folders on your computer and phone, I do that as well just periodically throughout the year and it always makes me feel so much better!

25. Adria says:

Great tips on how to refresh your life! Thanks for sharing, will keep them in mind!
    Fashion Soup

26. Changing up our products and picking up a few new pieces always helps to refresh us for the new year too!

M x K
    Bloglovin

27. great post!

Win your Fav Rosefield Watch!

28. Taimemode says:

Great post! Bonjour from FRANCE, Sand.

29. Travel is definitely perfect idea to fresh your spirit and mind! I've been travelling occasionally for last two-three months and I'm feeling better than ever! I was lost, but now I found sort of a light!
    Kisses,xx
    Nazlıgül | on my own way

30. Such an inspiring post! Thank you so much for sharing these tips. Love the photos as well!
    Clarissa

blondeleve.blogspot.com

31. Dottysworld says:

Buying a new makeup product can make me feel like a new woman you're absolutely right! Loved all of these ideas!

32. Rebecca says:

A new year is the perfect time to hit refresh – all of your points make perfect sense! x Rebecca – itscohen.co.uk

33. this was such a perfect read, thank you for sharing!

Kierra | Lavishingg

34. Jaya says:

Space. There's really nothing like a space where you can breathe in and be happy. I'm currently trying to freshen up the apartment and I've found that plants are seriously fun and addicting!

Jaya | notjaya.com

35. Tiffany Legg says:

Lovely post. Such great advice! Taking a break from all things techy is a great idea, I should really give that one a go.

Tiffany Tales – A British Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

36. Beautyful photos.

Pls follow me:

Discoveringglam

37. Gemma Magpie says:

I love clearing my room of clutter, and emptying my inbox to refresh my mind! xx

Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

38. Lovely post! I love all these tips especially the one about decluttering I do this like every week!!

Please leave a comment at http://anythingandeverything.weebly.com/

39. I love this! It's always great to do this every once in a while.

40. Danielle says:

traveling makes my life so much better for sure! i could use work on some of the other things though, especially exercise and having a more organized living space.

danielle | avec danielle

41. Sarah says:

Love this idea! I do feel like January is the perfect opportunity to be starting fresh and taking a look at your life. Regarding what you said about being in a beauty product rut, I feel like I have the opposite problem; I'm always wanting to try new things and can't stick with a single product. As a result, every morning and evening I'm doing something different to my face and my skin has not been appreciating it very much! So I think my beauty resolution is to simplify and stop trying to find the ultimate "next best thing."
    xo

• Ah that happens to me sometimes as well, it's so tempting (especially when you read a lot of blogs) to try a million different things at once- all in the hopes of finding those few 'Holy Grail' products!

42. R Pillay says:

Theses are some great tips, thanks for sharing! I spent the last month rearranging everything in my room and I feel like there is more room to breathe. I threw a lot of unwanted stuff and brought in a desk plant to make it a more peaceful environment. I clean and clear room really helps with bringing about positive thoughts, xx
    Rivania | The Glam Unicorn

43. Nice tips! xx

gingerebelq.blogspot.com

44. All great ideas! I definitely should try the turning of digital one!

ARABELLA.CO.UK

45. Sarah says:

I've been trying to refresh all of these aspects of myself this new year, and its amazing what a difference they can make.

nolongergrey.com

46. These are definitely all great ways to hit "restart." I'm looking forward to this year; not even as a start over but as a progression 🙂 Glad I found your blog!
    xx, Pia

47. Hello dear! Your blog is fantastic!

Maybe we could follow each other? If you'd like it please follow me on the both of my blogs :

NEW POST —> http://living-like-v.blogspot.com/2016/01/q.html

NEW POST —> http://staliaisbae.blogspot.ba/2016/01/you-are-my-happiness.html

And let me know in the comments of my newest posts so I can follow you back!

Kisses

48. Very helpful tips! Changing a few things around my room is something I tend to do a lot just to inspire me a bit more and not bore me

Yousra | Mystic Tales

49. This is a really wonderful post, thanks for sharing these great tips.

Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

50. Osiarah Blog says:

Such a inspiring and beautiful post! All these tips are great, I especially approve the "spirit" one about travel.

Camy xx

51. Evelina T says:

such a lovely, inspirational post! <3

xo
    itsevelina blog

52. Shannon Sage says:

Really great tips! I definitely need to some if not all of these! Travel is probably top priority right now!:) I would love to travel to some new great places! I also really need to tech break! I am trying not to use laptop/phone before bed and am failing miserably haha! Maybe a nice long break can make up for it!:) Great post!

Shannon Sage

• The way I started using my phone less is by putting it on airplane mode! That way if you need to use your notes or calendar you can, but you're not distracted by the net or any texts etc 🙂

53. Love this post, I love to refresh my wardrobe too!

Lowenna | Lowenna Christine

54. Fabliha says:

This is such a great post! Perfectly worded and there is so much I will take from it to apply to my own life 🙂 http://www.insidein-insideout.net

55. JBT says:

Such great tips girl.
    xo, jill

56. Great post 🙂 Your tips are very inspiring!
    xoxo

57. I have to say my list of things to do to refresh is pretty similar, so I agree with these. I just did some shopping the other day for the first time in ages and bought a selection of items that I wouldn't normally go for and it felt really good to refresh my style. I also did the same with makeup and just by doing something completely different with my look was really fun. Changing things up a bit can be just the thing you need to refresh your life and get you feeling positive and motivated again. 😀

Samio

• I couldn't agree more. I've been experimenting a bit more with beauty lately as well and I'm so enjoying trying out different looks and products I've never used before 🙂

58. My start to the new year wasn't the best, unfortunately, but I'm not giving up on any of my goals that I set for myself. I love disconnecting once in a while too, especially turning off my phone and putting the laptop down. 🙂 I also love cleaning up and getting organized- it always helps me feel so refreshed and inspired.

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

59. This post couldn't have come sooner, I loved reading it and will be sure to take all the tips on board ♥

tipscapsule.blogspot.com

60. Beckie says:

Really love these tips, I do love a good refresh/mix up from time to time – it definitely does the world of good!

61. Totally agree on the "Space" section! If I have a messy room I can't focus or relax!

XO
    Molly

62. Great post and tips! I have started off this year by starting with one room and decluttering it before moving on to the next. Trying to get rid of things that are no longer needed and just refreshing everything.

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

63. Alina Bostan says:

Couldn't agree with these tips more, perfect way to give your life a boost in such a gloomy month. Looking after my mind by giving myself internet breaks is amazing and I also love to get back into regular fitness x

Beauty with charm

64. welovefur says:

Great post. Well done
    I really like what you write and how you write
    Your blog is very interesting
    Visit mine if you want

I love your post, always great photos and interesting/ entertaining reads. I am inspired to take on some of these ideas – starting with space and body.

66. I love cleaning and rearranging my room- I'm definitely someone who sometimes needs a "style refresh" if you will, and every few months I get the urge to re- organize my room! In the past year, I would say, I've found that my clothing style as well has really changed, and I find myself going to various clothing stores and buying things that, a year or two ago, I never would have bought! It's funny how things like that go sometimes.

Cleaning, at least for me, is super relaxing and therapeutic as well- especially when I have some good music on to keep me going! I love exercising was well- I love to take a nice long walk/ jog in the park and around my neighborhood. After a long day, I really just need a breath of fresh air and some exercise!

Loved this post! 🙂

Savannah xx
    savbanav.wordpress.com

• I completely agree with everything you said, I find as I get older my style is evolving as well and it is interesting how now I'm loving clothing stores I never would've set foot in a couple of years ago!

I think for me I either find cleaning really overwhelming or really relaxing, it must just depend on my mood or on what I'm actually clearing out. I do think that music makes a big difference though, when you've got some good tunes on it's pretty hard to be overwhelmed 🙂

67. I def need to unplug, work out more, and make sure my hair is always on point!

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

68. Minaali H. says:

I feel you on the whole "space" aspect. Cleaning my room and changing things up really helps!
    Minaali
    The Snap Narrative

69. Erica Wells says:

Very inspirational post! I love your tips for spicing up your wardrobe and beauty routine. I'm all about taking a hiatus from technology and I try as often as I can to try somewhere new locally whenever I can so that even if I'm not going anywhere things stay exciting. 🙂

Erica

• That's a brilliant habit to get into. I think I'd like to start taking some regular breaks from technology as well, I find I feel so much better when I just shut off all the screens for a while!

70. ly heng says:

I found it interesting how your notes only focus on website..
    ดูหนังออนไลน์