How To Make The Most Of Every Day

I’m no stranger to hard work but as more and more responsibilities come into my life I feel like it keeps getting tougher to tick things off of my ever-growing ‘to do’ list. I’ll often get to the end of the day and wonder where the time went, wishing for a couple of extra hours because there’s still more I want to do. It’s like I’m a mouse running on a wheel that never stops spinning and all of this can sometimes leave me feeling pretty deflated.

In an effort to change this, I’ve made 6 small changes to my routine that have been really helping me to feel more accomplished by the end of the day:

1.) Get active first thing in the morning.
I’m talking right when you wake up (which yes, is pretty awful when you’re not used to it.)
I started exercising in the morning about three years ago and even though I’m by no means an exercise buff, if I don’t get active in the morning nowadays my day just feels incomplete. It doesn’t have to be a huge cardio session (it’s definitely not for me) but doing something active in the morning really helps me to feel like I’ve already accomplished something from the get-go.

2.) Create time frames for your day.
Work out what it is you want to get done in the day, then break your day into chunks (i.e. Morning, Afternoon, Evening) and allocate tasks accordingly. So for example you might want to work out, have breakfast, shower and answer emails in the morning and then leave the afternoon for meetings or errands etc. Breaking down the day into sections like this helps me to not feel overwhelmed when I have a lot to do because I know that I’ll get everything done, it’ll just be at a different time of the day.

3.) Do your hardest task/s first, aka whatever you don’t really want to do (but have to).
Usually there’s always at least one particular task per day that I just don’t want to do and you better believe I’ll try and avoid doing it if I can. To kick that habit in the butt, pull a Nike and Just Do It. Pick your hardest task and tackle it first, that way you won’t waste time procrastinating or worrying about it. If it turns out to be a little harder to do than anticipated, you’ll still have plenty of time left in the day to figure out a solution and get it done- minus the stress freakout.

4.) Take full advantage of your time.
I know people who read while they walk and they actually get through a couple of books per week that way. While that’s not really for me, I’m all for the idea of utilising the heck out of your time. If you’re taking a break by all means enjoy that break guilt free, but if you’re taking public transport somewhere you can make the most of what’s probably a dull journey by doing things like answering emails, making lists/notes or returning phone calls etc.

5.) Get up early– or stay up late.
I know everyone talks about how great it is to rise early but if you’re just straight up not a morning person and you’re in a position where you can stay up later and wake up later, then I say go for it. Either way you’re getting in a couple of extra hours, whether you use that time for work or leisure. So if you’re a morning person, great. If you’re a night owl, that’s also great. We can co-exist and both get more done.

6.) Reflect.
This may seem like an odd one but I’m all about focusing on gratitude this year and I have a little pre-sleep ritual that really makes me feel like I’ve fully appreciated and made the most of my day. Right when I get into bed I take a couple of minutes to reflect on everything I’ve accomplished throughout the day (even if it’s small) and I think about everything I’m grateful for. It may sound corny but doing this regularly keeps me grounded and it helps give me a daily dose of perspective about anything I think is ‘wrong’ in my life.

What are your top tips for making the most of every day?

171 responses to “How To Make The Most Of Every Day”

1. Natalie says:

Great tips! I am very much a morning person so I can happily wake up at 5-6am (but that means I sleep at 10pm…) to get started on my day. And honestly, so many of us spend too much time on our phones/ social media/ Youtube that when you cut it out.. suddenly there is so much free time!

nat – dignfiable

• Ah see I don't get to bed till around 12 (sometimes 1am) so waking up naturally at 6am just doesn't happen for me! You're so right as well, it's amazing how much time is spent scrolling through Instagram and things like that.

2. Justine says:

Love these tips! Personally I love getting up early, working out & then tackling the hardest tasks first so you've pretty much summed up how I like to make the most of each day 🙂

3. great tips! I am thinking of starting to do even a small workout in the morning just need a little extra push so I don't push the snooze button =o)

• I have my alarm on the other side of the room so if I want to hit snooze I actually have to roll out of bed, it's quite a good trick if you don't want to sleep in!

4. Yiotou_La says:

I like to get up early to start my day, even on weekends I do that. Starting early means that I will finish my errands/tasks early so I have more time to relax and do other things! Thanks for sharing this 🙂

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

• To each their own! I know some people who thrive on waking up early and others (myself) who it just doesn't work for unfortunately, I'm definitely more of a night owl 🙂

5. Great post- I agree with doing the hardest things first, its so much better once they are out of the way!

moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

6. Charlotte says:

I always do the easy tasks first then procrastinate all the time about the harder ones..it's so bad!
    Charlotte // http://www.charlottespicks.com

• I sometimes fall into that habit as well, it's tempting! In the end though I think it's so much easier to just get the worse tasks out of the way first, you know?

7. Great tips! I normally feel the same way, get to the end of the day and still want to do more! Have to try out some of these tips 🙂

8. Kristine B. says:

Wonderful blog! I love and i follow your blog, please follow me too

9. I really enjoy waking up early and going to bed at a reasonable hour too, I really enjoy the sun and the daylight! That was a lovely post 🙂 x

Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

10. Cherie Koh says:

I'm trying to sleep early(ier) but it's so hard when you get back from work + cook + wash up + prep for the next day! But I'd say I usually do everything ahead of time i.e. make sure I have everything prepared for tomorrow morning so I don't have to rush when I wake up in the mornings! My other tip is a bit of a lol one: reduce time to do makeup aka don't go overboard… I don't do anything to my eyes at all and sometimes skip out on foundation completely and w ow time-transforming!

Cherie | sinonym

11. Love this! I struggle to wake up in the morning but when I get up early I have a much more productive day!
    x Emily

12. These are great tips! I never get everything done during the normal day and definitely have to use either staying up or waking up early to get things done.
    xx, Pia

13. FIONNAC says:

since working, i've been making more effort to sleep earlier and i feel way more rejuvenated in the mornings. i hate when i'm too tired during the day cause of lack of sleep. it's the worst!

14. Thanks for sharing these tips! I think I can do most of them (or try and commit to them) but I really struggle to get active in the mornings… 0 motivation! I'd love to change that around, though… I totally need it! x

Margarita Chi | MARGARITACHI.CO

15. I think it's really important to make the most out of your day!These are such wonderful tips! =)

– Cielo

Follow me on Mermaid in Heels
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

16. Great tips! I'm a morning person, so I tend to get a lot of my work and other daily things done early. Usually if i start late, I wont get much done. I agree that doing the hardest task first is a good idea. http://www.comfycozyup.com

17. Kandice says:

I like reading this. I never make most of my everyday. Im never active in the morning. I wake up around 1 pm. But I would love to try this. Thank you for sharing 🙂

kandice.me

18. I'm forever feeling like I need to make more out of my day. I just fail to get up early enough. I'm definitely more productive at night, but I'd like to get up earlier to work out.

Kirstie | Behind The Scent

19. Claire Liu says:

Definitely 110% agree on #3 – once you finish the hardest task first, you'd fee like a free bird for that whole day 😛 Time management is everything!

xo, Claire | vonvogue.com

20. Joanna says:

I really love your tips! I'm currently in the final year of my uni degree and these last few months have really pushed me into seeking ways of being more productive and making effort to manage my time better. I started making to-do lists for the day the night before and I've become a lot less stressed. I'm also trying to do hardest things first; it's not easy as I've always been a procrastinator, but I'm fighting it one step at a time. I definitely feel better for the rest of the day if I tackle tasks I don't like first.

Joanna

• I was the same way but going to uni really got me into some good habits in terms of organisation. I always make lists the day before as well and it is such a huge help when it comes to feeling less stressed! I honestly would be so scrambled without my daily to-do lists.

21. I actually have a really similar post in my drafts so I adore this. So many fab points that I couldn't agree with more. Gorgeous imagery too!

Elle

• Thanks Elle! Ah that's happened to me so many times, where you see a post and you know you've written up something along the same lines. Ah well, great minds think alike eh?

22. A very nice post, if you want to follow me and I follow you back.

23. Amy says:

These are all really good tips! I'm going to have to try some of them ♥
    Amy xx

Little Moon Dragon

24. I get the most out of my day in the morning, I could never sleep past 6.30am so I get an hour before my little one wakes up. Coffee, emails, blog business as usual and I do little in between spending time with him. When he naps is the only time I get to do lots of work and yoga practice because once he sleeps at night, I usually shut everything down and spends some quality time with my husband. It's tough to find a balance because I follow my little one's schedule but I try my best…doesn't always work out though. LOL!

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

• Oh I have so much respect for you and anyone else working around a little one's schedule! I can imagine that it'd be hard to strike a nice balance, I feel like it'd be a lot of trail and error involved?

25. Bash Harry says:

I didn't start off this way actually. I woke up at 8 but fell back asleep until 10. Soo…I'll try tomorrow? Haha! I like to wake up early and do my work then, but sometimes I force myself to be a night owl if even my brain hurts from it. Great tips, I should try these out and implant them in my daily life <3

xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

• Oh I definitely don't get all of these done every day, my life is no where near that perfect! We all have those days where we end up accidentally sleeping in till 4pm, haha

You're tips are so spot on and timely reminders of things that work well but I often forget to do 🙂 (eg tackling hardest things first)
    I'm a night owl by nature too so have gotten a lot of work done in the early hours of the morning when everyone else is asleep and its so quiet. I think I would do well living in Spain or wherever siestas are part of everyday life so I could sustain it 🙂
    Also, I love your photos again!

• Thank you Phoebe! You always leave the nicest comments 🙂

I think I'd do well living in Spain or somewhere like that as well. Actually, I'd do brilliantly living in Italy but to be honest that's more about the food than anything else 😉

27. Elizabeth says:

The hard task first thing really throws me off. I keep putting those task last and using smaller unimportant task as procrastination – that way I feel like I am not wasting my day. The getting up earlier is something I also have to work more at

Lizzie | Garland Girl

28. Cara E says:

This is such a great positive post! I'm a huge procrastinator and I really need to take heed of these tips haha x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

29. Artdicted 2 says:

Really useful tips! I'm definitely no morning person, I love to work at night XD
    Nati xx

30. This is very effective. I try to apply these everyday and these seriously helps me to be more grateful on what I did in the day and made me more motivated to do better everyday.

Love, Fads

31. I love this post. I always stay up late! I'm most productive at 3am 🙂

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

32. Great tips. I definitely think that the first one helps a lot with productivity. I don't always manage to get active first thing in the morning but on the days when I do, I always feel most productive. 😀

Samio

33. Some great tips here! I'm definitely more of a morning person so try to be as productive as possible when I wake!

34. Alina Kristi says:

You're so right about this! I'm a person,that "likes" to work late..sometimes until 12 o'clock in the evening.
    I really should try to work in the morning and get some more sleep 🙂

xx Alina

35. Great tips, especially #6. Probably the most important!

Adi xx

36. Kynia says:

yes, yes, yes! what a great post! I enjoy yoga in the mornings, to focus my energy towards the upcoming day. I love the fact that you recommend to do the hardest tasks first! I'm convinced that this is the key to life. thanks for posting! xX

kynialikethecountry.blogspot.com

37. Edye Nicole says:

Lovely tips! Thanks for sharing <3

Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

38. I always find I'm my most productive when I stay up late 🙂 xx

39. Anouk says:

Great tips! I more or less follow these and it helps being more efficient and productive.

LUXESSED

40. Tatjana says:

I am trying to apply a few of those points nowdays myself.
    Having a big deadline coming up, made me work even with a timer.
    I know not fun but it does work.
    Cheers,
    T.

41. Fab post, dear! Really enjoyed reading it 🙂 I try to follow the same things as you do and they all work really well. Recently I also decided to wake up at 6 a.m every day (even on Sat-Sun), so now I manage to take care of myself, meditate and make exercises while everyone else in my family is still asleep. Even one extra hour in the morning can make a huge difference 🙂

• I agree, one extra hour can make a huge difference. Props to you for waking up at 6am on the weekends as well, that's when it's the most tempting to sleep in!

42. Francesca says:

I love every single tip and I am happy to say that I do most of these! Especially #3! Say no to procrastination haha!

xx http://www.opinionslave.com

43. Great tips! I actually practiced and I can see a large difference now, though I don't bend under super strict rules now, I try to be flexible otherwise it can put me under a lot of pressure. But obviously, getting things done and having a full list of ticked tasks is the best thing in the world!
    Margaux x

44. Beckie says:

Great tips! I need to get out of the habit of having lie ins till 10-11 on a weekend as I really feel like I've wasted a good chunk of my day!

45. Great tips and advises! definitely helpful 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂
    xx Jamie | With Love, Jamie

46. Jenny says:

Loved reading this post and I'm totally with you on being active in the mornings to start your day off the right way! I'm not a morning person and would always find it hard to wake up in the mornings because I work late nights during the week and just last week I've started a new routine to sleep before 12 and wake up between 7/8:30. I will then have breakfast and head out to the gym to start my morning and I notice a huge boost in energy for the rest of the day 🙂 I'm also one for cutting the day into sections as I've always get a million in one things to do ha,ha! xx

Jenny | Krystel Couture

• Ah yes! Your new routine sounds perfect, that's pretty similar to what I'm currently trying to do as well except I keep staying up a little too late which means I'm a bit of a zombie in the morning.

47. Great tips! Thanks for sharing!
    Mademoiselle Coconath

48. Amazing tips! very inspiring 🙂

xx Jamie | http://www.withlovejamie.com/

49. Love all these tips, especially the first one!
    Whenever I wake up early and get started with my
    day it feels so great!

Kierra | Lavishingg

50. Making a list totally works for me as well. Great tips dear!

Xx,

|| FLOORTJELOVES ||

51. Really nice post dear with amazing advices! For sure I will try with this!
    Kisses http://www.vanedresscode.com

52. veebz boo says:

These are such great tips to get everything done in your day! I definitely try to get the tasks that I've been putting off, for FOREVER done first lol. As well I'm completely a night person and find myself getting energy to do everything at like 11pm. I also really want to focus on positive and reflective thinking at night time. So thank you for the inspiration, hopefully I can stick to it.:)

http://www.youtube.com/veebzboo – Warm Brown Smoky Eye Tutorial

• That makes me really happy to hear 🙂

I always get like a second wave of energy at night too, it's good but at the same time really bad if I want to get an early night!

53. I rely on my lists and defining time frames for the tasks I need to get done. Otherwise I´d just procrastinate and end up with to many unfinished things.

Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

54. Ah such a lovely post hun – as you know I love these posts and I love reading about them!!! It's always good to make the most of everyday, you never know what life will bring so always be positive, happy and appreciate what you do have!!

Sending all my love from the UK – hope you're well and have a lovely week ahead!

55. Chantalle says:

Fantastic post! I have been feeling a lot like I am chasing my own tail lately and my work load just seems to get bigger and bigger and not really decreasing. I find that I am a mix of both a night owl and early riser so I try to switch it up depending on my schedule. As I work 9-5 everyday I find waking up earlier and getting things done early on a weekday easier and then staying up late on the weekends to work out for me too. Great tips!

Chantalle | http://www.ceceandgrace.blogspot.com.au

• That sounds like a nice balance you've struck, I think I'd do the same if I were you.

In terms of your work load I know the feeling of chasing your tail as well, sometimes it feels like I won't ever be able to get everything I want done!

56. kayla kruse says:

I truly enjoyed reading this post because I feel like there is never enough time in the day. Great post lovely.

Kayla xo // Kayla's Vibration

57. Ana Picazzo says:

Some days I can't help but being lazy and procrastinate, today I'm feeling very productive though, so hopefully I can get a lot of things done! Super helpful tips!
    Ana

Indie Suns | Bloglovin' | Instagram

Getting up earlier in the day is definitely my favourite tip here – it's something I've actually put into practice recently. From what I can tell, most of us are far more productive during the morning's hours!

59. Jalisa G says:

This is such a great, helpful post! I can definitely relate to feeling as though the day has escaped me, I'm convinced the time is passing by a lot faster than before! With that, I do get very overwhelmed with all the things that I need to do, as well as the little extra things I'd like to do. I started going to the gym early in the morning about 3 mths ago and it's really helped to jump start my day. I will admit, sometimes I just want to stay in the bed and get a couple of extra hours of sleep, but when I do skip, my days don't feel as productive because I know I cheated myself. I also agree that breaking the day up into morning, afternoon and evening is incredibly helpful. I had to do this because I found myself working endlessly, without taking a breaks, which of course isn't good. Thanks so much for sharing this post, again, it's really helpful! I hope you're having a great Monday and I hope you have an amazing and productive week ahead!

XO,

Jalisa

• Ah thank you so much for that wonderful comment Jalisa, it really makes me happy that people are liking this post and finding it helpful. I'm the same with working out in the morning, some days I really don't want to do it but then if I don't I always feel less productive.

60. Creating time frame is what I'm lacking! Once I lose the track then it gets impossible to get back to the track and then there are so many unfinished things. It is something I should work on. I'm more productive either really early morning or late at night, I should prioritise things and make a list to make most of every day.

Ela BellaWorld

61. Oh, I totally agree with exercising in the morning. I used to hate mornings and felt so sluggish until I started to work out first thing. Now I find that I sleep easily at night, and I'm full of energy to get things done!

Stephanie ● Sartorial Diner

62. Adele Miner says:

So helpful.. thanks for sharing! Great blog by the way, let me know if you would like to follow each other x

adelelydia.blogspot.com

63. melis tugay says:

love these tips, especially #5 and #6. such a great post, thanks for sharing!!

xx Melis

64. Great tips, I've been feeling really overwhelmed lately by my ever-growing to-do list, it just seems to keep getting bigger no matter how many things I tick off! I think number three is so important, I force myself to do it even though I never want to… I really want to start exercising in the morning too, and #2 is a great idea, definitely going to give it a go!
    Brigitte x

brigittehayley.com | youtube.com/brigittehayley

65. Great advice! I really want to start exercising first thing x
    eleanorfrances.com

66. Great post!
    I really agree with the get up early or stay up late..
    I am more a morning person though 🙂
    Love reading this type of tips/how to articles.

Xx Laurence

67. Vigi Raj says:

Great tips and thank you very much x

68. Jasmine Riel says:

Love this post! These are really awesome tips. I've definitely become more of a morning person – I love how it makes the day seem longer and I have more time to get more work done.

Just wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Miranda Sings Award (click) and hope you get a chance to check it out!

Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

• I love the feeling of having a few extra hours as well, it makes me feel so much more productive!

Thanks for the nomination Jasmine! I'll go and check it out 🙂

69. Velvet Blush says:

Time just seems to fly by for me sometimes! I've started reading an ebook on my journeys to work so I can read one book atleast, and maybe read another one at home when I have more time, so definitely agree about trying to make the most of the time!

Velvet Blush

70. Sanjana says:

These are incredible tips. x I've been looking to change the way I live my days – I want to not only reflect, but remember. And I think slowing down, utilizing your time wisely, being active and getting fresh air, etc. are great ways to do exactly that. 🙂
    No, your pre-bed ritual doesn't seem corny at all. I believe it's extremely important to know who you are and connect with yourself mentally. I like to journal at night, just anything I feel like jotting or doodling, to reflect on my day. It's so therapeutic!
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

• Thank you so much Sanjana!

I also believe it's very important to connect with yourself mentally, and journalling regularly is a brilliant way to stay connected and reflect.

71. These are really helpful tips! I definitely need to start doing the tasks I don't want to do first because I have such a procrastination problem lol. I feel you though. At the end of the day I wish there were a few extra hours to get everything done.
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

72. I totally agree with number 5. Im not a morning person, I always give myself an hour and a half to get ready in the morning because I simply don't function very well. It helps to wake up a little later. If I wake up between 8-9 then I'm a much better person all round than if I wake up at 6-7. I desperately wish I was a morning person though.

Georgie | http://www.georgietoms.com

73. Zsuzska says:

great tips! i am also trying to do similar things to make my time worthy! 🙂 xx

74. Emma says:

I love this post! I completely agree with the getting active – I'd probably also add that doing something creative – whether it's your blog, crochet, cooking a nice meal. I always find a huge sense of achievement when I've taken some time out to be creative!

Emma x

75. Beka Ellen says:

I totally get that exercising brings a sense of achievement. I sometimes wish it was always morning, that's when I tend to be able to do the most.
    Also I should start reflecting like you do at the end of each day. It sounds like a really healthy idea. I do tend to think more about problems and more things that need to get done when it's late, so telling myself to think of specific things that are also positive is cool. Thanks.

xxoBeka – http://www.bekaellen.com

• I think when it's night time it's really easy to be more vulnerable and start letting your mind think (or worry) about everything, so for me (as you said) reflecting on the positives helps give me some perspective and it stops be from being really negative all of the time.

76. Fabulous tips, I definitely need to implement some of these, I can't get enough done in the day!

http://www.Barely There Beauty.com | British Beauty & Lifestyle blog

77. These are great tips! I'm starting online course for the summer semester and this was much needed. I feel like I can never get it all done – especially since it's the summer lol. Thanks for posting!!!

Kelsey | kelssays.com

78. Elle Dz says:

Like you, the best way for me to start my day is through working out! It gives me the boost of energy that I need. I also notice that every time I do this, I feel healthier! I tend to stay away from unhealthy foods if I start my day with a good ol' sweaty workout.

79. I so want to become a morning person… At the moment I'm studying for two upcoming exams and I can't seem to find the motivation to start early. I know it's only temporary but I really need to up my game! Thanks for the tips x
    Clem // ravacholle.blogspot.com

80. Kim says:

Great tips! I love to do all my important work first thing in the morning when I'm the most productive! Most people would consider me a morning person too, so that makes sense!

Kim | Simply Lovebirds

81. Totally agree with the first three tips, I apply them everyday! I do exercise first thing in the morning, and it feels so good to have the impression that you kicked off the day well + you've already made something out of your day just after 30 minutes or so. Although when it comes to buckle down to the hardest task of the day I still have to work a little bit on that one ahah x

Margaux / http://www.bonjourwhite.com