5 Easy Ways To Leave Your Comfort Zone

To me, my comfort zone is like the equivalent of a warm bed with fresh sheets on a Monday morning, why on earth would I want to leave that?! But while I don’t think that comfort zones are a bad thing (honestly how could anything with the word ‘comfort’ in it be bad?) I do think that stepping out of those zones once in a while is vital for changing perspectives and keeping things fresh.

Here are my current favourite easy ways to take a step (some are baby steps) out of your comfort zones:

Jane Iredale Smokey Eye Kit
1- Change up your makeup and try something new.

Out of habit I keep coming back to the same eyeshadow shades (matte browns) and it’s an un-inspiring ‘rinse and repeat’ cycle. Lately I’ve been changing it up by trying mineral eyeshadows for the first time ever with the *Jane Iredale In The Blink Of A Smoky Eye Kit and I’ve realised that A.) mineral shadows are the bomb.com and B.) wearing deeper shadows and different shades during the day isn’t actually that scary. I’ve been opting for some of the deepest shadows from the palette and I’ve even been dabbling with the forest green shade (who am I?!) and it looks surprisingly flattering with my brown eyes. Green shadows are obviously out of my comfort zone but using mineral shadows is as as well. I always figured mineral shadows weren’t that pigmented but these actually have better pay off than my Urban Decay shadows so I’m definitely happy I stepped out of my comfort zone with this one. Adios matte browns!

2- Don’t check social media for the day.

I miss the days when I was younger and phone-free, back when Instagram was just a figment of the imagination. Okay who am I kidding I love me some Instagram but I’ve gotten way too comfortable with it becoming part of my daily routine. To curb your social media addiction, try ditching your phone for a day. Being without your phone will probably feel really odd at first but after that? The silence and lack of FOMO (fear of missing out) is pretty comforting.

3- Wake up earlier or later.

Every day at 7am, is there a secret club that meets and plots to take over the world? For all I know there could be, because I’m never up before 7am if I can help it. Saying that, one easy way to change up your routine is to switch up the time you rise. If you always wake up at 6am, try sleeping in if you can, take it easy and see what happens and vise versa if you’re someone who usually sleeps till noon. It’s funny how just changing the time you wake up can completely shift your routine and change up your day.

4- Switch up your breakfast or coffee order.

See, I told you this would mainly be baby steps. I’m a creature of habit and I tend to like ordering the same foods and drinks over and over again. I’m all “If it ain’t broke then don’t fix it” but sometimes doing something as small as changing up your order or blind picking (close your eyes and pick from the menu) can spice things up a bit. I know this might sound kind of dull and anti-climactic but honestly when it comes to leaving my comfort zone I think I’d always rather change a bunch of small things and let those changes accumulate, rather than jumping in the deep end and changing everything at once.

5- Say the compliments you think in your head.
Why is it so much more common to share negative opinions rather than positive ones? Personally I think a lot of complementary things about different people each day but for some reason I keep everything to myself, I suppose for fear of judgement. I’ll read an amazing blog and genuinely think it’s phenomenal and inspiring, but I get scared to write that in a comment incase it comes across as fake. I’ll see someone walking down the street that I think is drop dead gorgeous yet I would never dream of stopping to tell them that. If you’re like me, step out of your comfort zone by starting to say these nice things out loud, despite how nervous it might make you feel and despite what you think people might say.

Do you have any tips for stepping out of your comfort zones?

*Gifted by Active Skin for review purposes, all opinions are my own (and they always are/will be, unless my mind gets taken over by robots or aliens one day…)

106 responses to “5 Easy Ways To Leave Your Comfort Zone”

1. Edye Nicole says:

Trying new makeup is a way I step out of my comfort zone too! Especially whenever I wear a bold lip color :]

Blessings,
    Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

2. I love this post! I've definitely been more shy and introverted lately. It's great to push yourself out of your comfort zone every once in awhile 🙂

3. Great list! I am about to leave my comfort zone by waking up early to commute to work and I am a little worried since it's a long commute and it will mean I have to discipline myself to go to sleep early =o)

4. Joiaching says:

The last tip is definitely the most important! When you start seeing the positive things in the world and in people as well, say it, appreciate it, compliment it, you feel so much more happy and energized somehow!

xo Margaret
    http://www.maleemaleehong.com | http://www.facebook.com/maleemaleehong.com

5. Kynia says:

I love that last one- actually saying out loud the compliments I think in my head. that is such a great connection on leaving your comfort zone.. so not only are you impacting yourself positively, you're uplifting someone else as well and spreading more sunshine around. Love it! Will definitely be implementing that one more often in my day to day. thank you!

• It's still so hard for me to feel comfortable saying things aloud but you're right, it's positively impacting more than one person so I think the initial discomfort is worth it!

6. I'm a night owl, soooo, I usually wake up late. But a couple days ago I woke up relatively early (for me haha) and it felt soooo good! I felt I accomplished something, and for that, I gave a pat on my back. I do love reading with a cup of tea to chill out! x

7. Rochelle Fox says:

Love this post!
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog http://www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

8. Mani says:

I really love the ideas in this post! The last tip is definitely one I don't do often enough, mainly for the same reasons you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

9. Cloud Esmé says:

I love the last one; even if it's just chat and not a compliment, I've been pushing myself to just talk to people around me recently. The ones who reciprocate and get along with you are much more memorable, and far outweigh those few who look at you funny or blank you 😛

Esmé // CloudEsmé

Not checking social media for a day is a brilliant tip, and something I try to do at least once a month – absolutely no technology, it's like a cleanse for the mind! haha. I love your image of the makeup palette, by the way 🙂

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

11. Sauniya says:

Often we'd think getting out of our comfort zone means doing something completly out of the common when in fact this list is a pretty nice way to switch things up and challenge ourself a lil.
    I love this post! I'll have to try waking up earlier and say he compliments I think more.
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss

12. These are all great suggestions, love how easy to follow they are! I love disconnecting once in a while and turning off my phone. It's funny but sometimes, even then I grab it to check Instagram, only to remember that it's turned off haha. 🙂

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

13. Bash Harry says:

Taking baby steps out of the comfort zone. Over the past year, I've been going out of my comfort zone so everything becomes more normal. I think for me, I would love to try waking up early and just spending some time to myself. It's always nice to spend time alone <3

xx   BASH   |   go   say     H E Y   B A S H

14. SweetAsMae says:

Such a great post, these are definitely nice small steps to easing out of your comfort zone. I find changing up my makeup routine is 100% a way for me to leave my comfort zone 🙂

Mae ♥

15. Rosy Ferry says:

This was such a good post, I've recently changed up my daily makeup to get myself out of my comfort zone and I've also been giving out compliments left right and center haha

Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

16. Ah hun – this is such a lovely post and I always find the best way is to push yourself and always do something that you normally wouldn't think of doing.

Love this post and hope you're well! Have a lovely weekend 🙂

17. I love this post gorge, such simple but effective ideas that everyone can try! I'm definitely keen to leave my social media for the day and to also switch up my breakfast/coffee order to try something new!

Hayley xo

18. Great post…thanks for sharing…xoxo, Neha

19. Love this post! Sounds silly, but I never thought about changing up my makeup as a step to step out of my comfort zone haha.

Tegan x

20. Cristina SF says:

Thanks for the tips! I love the last one. We could make someone's day if we told them something nice and vice-versa!

21. Parie Joshi says:

This is such a lovely post to read, makes me feel a lot more confident!

Parie x
    classandglitter.com

22. this was such a lovely post. its quite hard for me to leave my comfort zone but doing baby steps is also a step and i think i will change up my coffee order tomorrow.

loovelle.blogspot.com

23. Aditi says:

great post 🙂 its funny that stepping out of your comfort zone is such a big deal but it can be achieved in the simplest of ways. switching up your appearance is a great way indeed to beat the monotony, as is a digital detox. oh and i agree that we need more positive energy in the world, cant ever have too much of that haha x

Aditi | https://lifeasaditi.wordpress.com

24. Great post. I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone a lot over the last few years and it's really expanded what I feel comfortable doing.

25. Funny you mention waking up earlier as this is something I'm trying to do at the moment but MY GOD is it out of my comfort zone. Just love catching those Zs! Love these simple ways to step out of the comfort zone! Baby steps!

Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

• haha me too! If I let myself I'll sleep in till about 4pm (I've done that once…) so waking up early is so out of my comfort zone! Thanks for the positive words as well Claire 🙂

26. Awesome post Hun, I try to do the social media thing more regularly now. You are right about the compliments people are so much more likely to point something negative out then to compliment someone and I think it is wrong and we should be making more compliments to people even if they seem small they might just make someone feel better about themselves or have a better day!

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

• That's exactly how I feel as well Nicole, and if everyone said the nice things they think in their head then seriously the world would be so much more positive.

27. Love this! This is such a different kindof post. I LOVE complimenting people. It always makes their day.

xo, Christina

28. Such a simple but meaningful post! It's always nice to get our of one's comfort zone every once in a while! 🙂

Angelie // Bohol 2016 Travel Diary

29. Katy English says:

Ahh I love this! I've been trying to do this lately as well, mainly the going to bed earlier and waking up later, and turning my social media off at a certain time at night. I've also been pushing myself to be more personal and honest on my blog, and also cooking new recipes! I find I always stick to the same ones, so it's been fun to play around a bit xx

Little Miss Katy

30. fashion mews says:

these are some amazing tips! i always love switching up what i order and you're so on point with #5! there's just so much negativity in this world, and why not just lift up other people's spirits instead of constantly bringing them down? great post as always, thanks for sharing!

xx Melis

31. Jalisa G says:

This is such a great, relatable post, girlie! I can be open minded to trying new things, but at the same time, I can easily become a creature of habit. I love your suggestions here on switching things up. For the past week, I haven't been as active on social media as I typically am b/c we've recently moved and getting everything situated has been my primary focus and to be honest, it felt pretty good to disconnect! I, too, struggle with worrying about if I come across as fake sometimes b/c I know that, unfortunately, there aren't as many vocal kind hearted people out there and so I don't want to be interpreted as someone who's insincere, but you know what we can't control that, but we can control being positive and our intentions on making someone feel good! Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, I really did love this post. I hope you have a great week ahead!

XO,

Jalisa

• What a thoughtful comment, thank you so much Jalisa! I really liked what you said about how we can't control how we're interpreted but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to be sincere and say the things we want to say regardless. That comment definitely gave me a healthy dose of perspective so thank you for that!

32. This is another great read and like you, I have been changing my makeup a little too and am actually embracing more colour eyeshadows. It's still a process of getting comfortable to leave the house wearing colour eyeshadows but I'm trying. And I am really looking forward to my two weeks break from blogging! I will still be on IG and my tweets will be scheduled with Buffer but it'll be a good break from blogging world.

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

• I'm going to be taking a little break from blogging as well and I too am quite excited! It's not a full on break but it is more of a rest than I'm currently getting now. I think taking a step back once in a while feels really good.

33. Beckie says:

Great post and I love the tips! I definitely feel a little different and more brave when I experiment with my day to day makeup routine!

34. I agree, it is so important to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while. I try to change my makeup every now and again.

Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

Such a good post Julia! I think all your points are spot on and the one that resonates most loudly with me at present is to say the compliments I think in my head out loud. When I receive a compliment it can make my day yet there are so many that I think and hold back for fear of being misinterpreted in some way.
    I like the look of that Jane Iredale mineral eyeshadows kit, the colours look lovely and I like how they made the base colours larger. I tend to use those ones up so much quicker so that seems really practical. I used to use the jane Iredale foundation because it was really good for sensitive skin, my eyelids have strangely been more sensitive lately so I might give this palette a try as I have been wanting to try some mineral eyeshadows and your recommendations haven't let me down yet. 🙂

• So very true Phoebe, the same thing happens to me and it annoys me that I feel uncomfortable saying the kind things I think in my head because as you said, when someone says something kind to me it really makes my whole day.

I would highly recommend this palette and hopefully because they're mineral shadows they won't irritate your eyelids at all!

36. Yiotou_La says:

Lovely post! Last week I was on a summer break with my family and I was off blogging, and I must say that it felt good. It is nice to have a break from social media once in a while, to rest, relax and clear our minds and I try to do it as much as possible.

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

37. I like to change my lipstick color and my breakfast almost everyday 🙂

Giada
    Glam Observer

38. I love this post. I always get stuck in a rut and forget to change up my routine so this will help!

Danielle xx

39. Tamzin Swann says:

I've been playing with makeup a lot more lately, it's been quite fun actually! I'm terrible for checking social media though, I can't help it! xx

Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

40. FashionJazz says:

Ilove this list and I love mixing things up, so this is me to the tee 🙂

41. Tessy Onyia says:

Aww! I so love this post, your points I can totally relate to and I totally agree. Thanks for sharing.

42. Having social media free day is definitely something I need! Years ago, everything was easier, when we only used the phones for calling and texting 🙂 Changing the makeup routine is one of the things I try to do and go for the colours I wouldn't usually wear, it helps me to leave my comfort zone 🙂

Ela BellaWorld

43. A phone detox sounds AMAZING! I really need to break out of the habit of checking my phone every few minutes! Great tips girl! x

TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN

44. Wow, this post is so nice and comforting. The part about saying nice things out loud felt like you were talking about me because mumbling out and saying out loud can get a bit hard for me. Thank you!

Chaste & Beautiful

45. Velvet Blush says:

I think switching your makeup is a great way to get out of your comfort zone too. For example, I rarely used to wear pinky nude shades because they just didn't flatter me, but at the same time I really wanted to give that trend a go. So I used some nude brown lip liners and it actually didn't look too bad, I just had to give it a go! 🙂

Velvet Blush

46. These are really interesting ideas, they're definitely not what I was expecting when I read the title and that's a great thing – it feels like I've never read anything similar! I love how you linked social media to getting out of your comfort zone, I would've never thought of that! – Maria | BeautyMatters

47. Samileen S says:

Such a wonderful post. I have been such a procrastinator, but trying to get out and get my work done on time now. About saying out loud the compliments, that I have been giving in my head is something I need to improvise on haha. So lets break the silence here : you have a wonderful blog, and your aesthetics of presenting a post is stunning.

Sam || Beautydetour

48. Sofiaa Dot says:

Yesss yess yes great suggestions! When I feel a bit off I love to eat something new or try something new for my makeup! 🙂

xx SofiaaDot
    sofiaadot.wordpress.com

49. syasandeul says:

Since I've read to the bottom line, I'm leaving a comment here.

This is my first time ever reading your blog, I forgot where I got your url from but that doesn't matter. My first reaction was like "THIS IS WHAT I NEED". Honestly. I just love the way you convey things, they look real and they're mostly the things that I've been looking for especially that "Be your own best friend", it was amazing!

Oh ya, I'm a blogger too. You can visit mine when you're free 😉

50. Stacey White says:

Love this post! It's taken me ages to just have the balls to actually step out my comfort zone! Totally agree with every point! You just have to do it and ignore whatever doubts your mind have.
    Stacey White