11 Things You Have To Do In New York

new york travel blogger

New York is one of those places, there’s a reason why so many people love the Big Apple and I can’t quite put into words what exactly it is (it’s the pizza) that makes New York so special but it just is. A few months back I was lucky enough to spend 7 days in New York and in that time I fell in love with the city. I literally just wanted to spend all day and night writing blog posts, taking photos and walking around and if that’s not inspiration smacking me in the face then I don’t know what is. So if you’re heading there yourself or if you’re just in a bit of a wanderlust mood, here are 11 things you have to do in New York:

1.) Eat pizza.

It’s a right of passage, grab that pizza and welcome to New York. My top pick for an amazing pizza? Eataly, hands down. Their buffalo mozzarella is imported from Italy, I mean…

2.) Get lost amongst the New York crowds.

3.) Meet the locals.
Squirrels count as locals…right?

squirrel maddison park new york tourist blogger

sephora new york shopping guide

4.) Say goodbye to your cash.

Shopping in New York is something else. I saved up a chunk of money specifically just to spend in NY (priorities) because they’ve got shops we don’t have in Melbourne, more stock of all my favourite things and everything just seems bigger and better there. I mean the Macy’s in NY has 11 floors, 11 FLOORS PEOPLE! That’s just insane. Keep in mind the shops are generally further apart though so wear comfy shoes if you plan to do what I did and shop for multiple days straight….

Shops to tick off your bucket list:

• Macy’s
  • Barney’s NY
  • Sak’s Fifth Avenue
  • Bergdorf Goodman
  • Bloomingdale’s
  • Sephora
  • Wholefoods (so much good food!)
  • Duane Reade (buy all your U.S. drugstore beauty gems here)

PS, If you’re from the U.S. you may not find these shops out of the ordinary, but we basically don’t have any of them in Aus!

5.) Walk the streets.

6.) Get futuristic with The Oculus.

Designed by a Spanish architect, The Oculus is actually a train station but honestly it looks like something out of a Steven Spielberg film…
The skylight has tourists flocking all around it; everyone wants to see the huge white, light structure.
There are a few shops scattered around inside The Oculus but they’re nothing too special. The structure itself is what’s worth seeing, as far as I know there’s nothing that looks anything like this in NY.
Being completely honest it felt very clinical in there (aka freakishly clean) and there was more white than a toothpaste commercial, but if you’re in the area I’d definitely recommend you check this out.

Location-
21 Dey Street,
New York
NY 10007
United States

7.) Get lost in Central Park.

I’ve been to Central Park before but this was the first time that I’d properly walked from one end of it to the other and wow, it’s large but the walk was worth it. Squirrels, vendors selling treats, parents playing with their kids, people reading, everyone catching Pokemon, people exercisng- Central Park has it all.

8.) Head to the Chrysler Building.

9.) Get the most touristy food you can find.
It may not taste great, but it sure does make for a great photo!

10.) Take photos at dusk.

11.) Spend your night at the Top Of The Rock.

The Empire State Building has some competition, The Top Of The Rock hosts some amazing views.

What do you think of New York? Share any recommendations in the comments below!

113 responses to “11 Things You Have To Do In New York”

1. Natalie says:

You walked the entire length of Central Park?!! That is insane!

I definitely enjoyed my time in Brooklyn and Williamsburg more than Manhattan. Manhattan definitely needs to be visited to cross off all those iconic things, but also important to head out of that borough if time permits!

nat // dignifiable

• Very true! If I head back to NY (which hopefully I will sooner rather than later) then I'd really like to explore Williamsburg and spend more time in Brooklyn.

2. Elishia says:

These are definitely the top of my list too! However, I'm gonna be controversial and say you GOTTA have the pizza from Sal's , between 102nd and 101st on Broadway (It might actually be Sal's and Carmines, but the locals just call it Sal's). It is the out-of-this-world kind of delicious. I've yet to find pizza I love more, BUT that could be because I haven't tried Eataly, so I'll try your pizza before making a conclusive decision 🙂

• Oh wow you've sold me on that pizza (and now I'm REALLY craving pizza), I'll have to try it from Sal's! If you end up trying Eataly's pizza let me know how you like it, it pretty much tasted like pure heaven to me…

3. Ahh so jealous you got to go there it is on my list to visit !! Thanks so much sharing xx

4. Hanh says:

Was so fun to read this, brought back fun memories of our trip this Spring! We stayed from daylight to dusk to catch TOTR at night! It was cold and raining when we visited Central Park so didn't see much of it, next time!

Hanh | Hanhabelle

5. Fa nny says:

This post really makes me want to go back to NYC, I will make sure to check out the Oculus next time I go there, having said that I would also highly recommend the Grand Central station as I was really impressed by its ceiling and greatness when I've visited it! Lovely post!

6. Mani says:

Gosh, I want to visit NYC so badly! Will definitely be bookmarking this for when I eventually make it there 🙂

7. Tiffany says:

Loved this travel guide! I'm headed there in June, so will definitely be making note of these.

Tiffany Tales | Beauty & Lifestyle

8. Hopefully soon, maybe next year, I will visit NYC and there are so many things I want to do! Before going, I will make sure to save some money just for the shopping purposes 🙂 The view from the Empire State Building is amazing!

Ela BellaWorld

9. Blissy Joyce says:

Someday I'll get to visit this place too. Awesome content 😀

Joyce | Joycentricity

10. Oh wow, New York is incredible! I've been twice and I can't wait to get myself back there and do everything else I still haven't had the chance to do, as both times I went was for a literal whistle stop!

Wow that pizza place looks insane!! They certainly outdo themselves on the food over in America!! Stunning pictures – I must say Central Park and the Empire State building were my highlights – oh and a Broadway show!! But I definitely need to do Top of the Rock if I'm (WHEN I'm – NY is one of my favourite places on this Earth – you can see why – I will make sure I return some day!) ever there again!

Glad you had such a wonderful time (and are content with all your amazing purchases!)

JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

• Agreed, America does food like no where else! NY is definitely one of my favourite places as well, half the time I was there I was just day dreaming about what I'd need to do to live there permanently…

11. Shell says:

I've been to New York 3 times now (twice in the last 2 years – one of those times being this past September) & if I'm honest, I'm a bit over it. I'll wait a while until I go back methinks because I didn't have a whole lot to do tourist wise this time. I was living more like a local since I was staying with my brother (he's currently living over there), but I did get to walk the High Line & go over to Staten Island on the ferry, which was good (although I confess I only went to Staten Island so I could go to an Ulta store right at the end of the island) + I saw more of Brooklyn & went to Williamsburg a couple of times.

I freaking LOVE Wholefoods! It became an obsession of mine while I was over in the States this time. (Is it sad that I either went out of my way or made up excuses to go to a store in both San Francisco & Honolulu?) Good food & a wonderful natural beauty section that stole a fair bit of my cash. Did you go to any Ricky's stores whilst in NYC?

• Going to Staten Island just for an Ulta store sounds exactly like something I'd do as well! When I was in L.A I went right out of my way and took a couple Ubers just to get to an Ulta…

I love Wholefoods as well so that doesn't sound sad to me at all, the first time I was in there I literally sat staring at their fresh peanut butter dispenser for about five minutes. I did pop into a Ricky's but I didn't end up buying anything which I'm now kind of regretting, it was really nice to see brands like Morphe's products in person!

12. Megan Marie says:

I've never been to New York but really want to and even more so after reading your blog post, as soon as I read "Eat Pizza" I was sold!
    Also, squirrels totally class as locals 😉

Megan / http://www.meganmarieblogs.blogspot.com

13. Yiotou_La says:

Your pictures are amazing! If I ever travel to US and New York, I know I would go bankrupt haha! Clothes, accessories, shoes and cosmetics!!! Shopping heaven! Maybe I can pursuade my fiance to go on a honeymoon there when we get married! Fingers crossed! x

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

• Oh it's my shopping heaven for sure! Each time I travel I try and save up a chunk of money just to spend on shopping so that I don't feel guilty buying things when I'm over there.

I hope you can persuade your fiance, a honeymoon to NY sounds phenomenal!

14. NYC is the greatest, most inspiring North American city. Maybe even the best city on earth, in my honest little opinion haha! One of my favorite things to do is walking across the Brooklyn Bridge as well as just completely relaxing in Central Park and taking a little stroll there. I love walking all around the city in general too, if I can do it by foot, I will. The Upper East side is the greatest part of NY as well as Downtown and Soho. God I love NY!

Naomi in Wonderland

15. Unknown says:

Haha, I LOVE New York and all the squirrels! Met one in particular when I was there i January who bit my finger and caused everyone to worry about me getting rabies. x
    Helena

16. HAHAHA I loved number 3 – and to answer the question, yes they count as locals!
    This is one of the best NYC 'things to do' posts I've read because it's so relatable. Well, to me it is anyway 🙂

T x

17. One of my dream… NY.
    Thanks for your post, now I know what I will do in NY. Hope that I can visit it soon ~

Kisses, DadieB. ~
    dadiebradshaw.com

18. NYC looks incredible! I've never visited before, but it's on my wishlist! The pizza looks so nice – I've heard a lot about NYC's Pizza! I'd definitely have to do all the touristy things like central park, top of the rock and times square!

xo April | April Everyday

19. The only time I've been to NYC was on a school trip so I guess you could say I didn't get to explore it properly! I would love to return though, I agree with you that just people watching and getting lost in its streets is an experience in itself but I would love to visit its many museums.

Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

20. Honey says:

My biggest traveling wish it to visit NY. If I ever go I'll do this and much more I hope 🙂
    loved the post

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

NYC is still right at the top of my travel wishlist – everyone who visits seems to fall in love with the city! Eating an unhealthy amount of pizza sounds ideal haha, and getting lost in the crowds is the best way to explore any new place.

aglassofice.com

22. Love your photography…
    So many useful tips, thanks for sharing…
    Hope to visit it soon

23. Hahahha say goodbye to your money! So true!!! Hope you enjoyed my adopted city!! xoxo

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

24. Kelly says:

love this roundup!

25. Emily says:

It struck me as so funny that Duane Reade was on your must-visit list, since they're so ubiquitous in NY, but it makes sense that you'd want to stock up on makeup. It gets so expensive to buy from overseas! The only thing I'd add to your list is the American Museum of Natural History — it's an incredible place, and the gem room has some truly jaw-dropping gemstones!

<3! Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

• Yeah I can see why people might find that funny, but drugstore makeup is ludicrously expensive in Australia and we don't even get the same stock, so Duane Reade for me was like drugstore heaven!

26. New York is such a great place! And I totally agree with a lot of your points as I did most of them. Although I'd never heard of that train station being a thing before, but maybe it wasn't around last time I was there (2014)? It looks beautiful though, and of course the shopping in NY is pretty incredible. I did a fair bit of damage in Sephora and the drugstores and Wholefoods is 100% worth a few visits too – so much great food!

littlehenrylee.net

27. David says:

I love Newyork, it is wonderful place to visit. Great job for publishing such a beneficial article. Your blog information isn’t only useful but it is additionally creative with high content too. Now a days everyone looks for deal of the day products in online shopping .

28. I love New York! It's been years since I've been, and I miss it. It really is an amazing city with so much to do and see! Literally say good bye to your money haha!

Nida | Caked To The Nines

29. Mercy F says:

Would use these helpful tips when I visit NY. I haven't heard of Oculus, that would be another reason to go.

30. Scarlett says:

You're right! That Macy's is incredible! I went during a flower show and there were hundreds of flower arrangements all around the store. It was beautiful. Glad you enjoyed your shopping trip to the US 🙂

31. I've been to other parts of NY but never NYC and I so want to visit there one day. These are great tips for when I do happen to make the trip.

Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

32. Joyce Pak says:

Lol, love that part about spending all your cash! Even if you don't shop that much the food & everything else here is so expensive too! Also love the part about getting lost in the crowds and getting touristy food. Love it!

Characters & Carry-ons

33. Pizza, yes! Every time we're in New York, my husband and I always grab pizza from our favorite place. I think the best way to experience New York is to just start walking around and not plan too much. I definitely need to go and visit soon, especially since I live only 30 minutes away haha 😉

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

34. Great list of things to do in NYC! There is always so much to see and do while staying in the city =o) Looks like you checked a lot of things off your bucket list for NYC =o)

35. Liz Tarran says:

I absolutely cannot wait to go to NYC! you're so lucky! this is such a wonderful post of things you have to do 🙂 x

Liz | LotsofLoveLiz

36. New York is honestly one of the places I want to visit so bad! It seems like such a dreamy destination! x

TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN

37. New york is on my bucket list and I swear after giving this read, can someone just fly me out there now, even if it is only to eat the pizza haha. Have a lovely day 🙂

tipscapsule.blogspot.com

38. Aiko says:

Great photos! Looks like you had an awesome time! I love NY <3

xo,

aikocunanan.com

39. Yes to all of these. Beautiful images, I really need to go back to New York soon.

40. Sauniya says:

I haven't been to the Big Appl yet. I definitely want to try the pizza because I'm a foodie and I heard about New York's pizza :P. I also want to see grand central station, time square and the empire state building among other things. Good you enjoyed your time there. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing 🙂
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

41. Sounds like you had an amazing time in NYC! I have yet to visit US but we plan to in the next 5 years or so when the little one is older!

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

42. Oh my God, NY is a place that I really want to go and visit – I've been wanting to go for years but just never had the opportunity due to different commitments but your photos are absolutely gorgeous and I soooooooo want to go!!

Loving everything, love the guide – you've actually featured a couple of different things which is really nice to see and I love how beautiful it looks at night!

Hope you had an amazing time!!! 🙂

43. alittlekiran says:

I am going to NYC in January so this is so useful, thanks for sharing. I am so excited x

ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

44. Gemma Magpie says:

I can't believe I've never been before! That pizza looks insane xx

45. aargh love this !!! May be going to NY this summer so v v excited and grateful for this post xx
    Sofia

46. I would absolutely love to go to New York it just looks amazing! Would definitely need to save up for the shopping though, can't believe Macy's has 11 floors. Crazy! Lovely guide 🙂

The Makeup Directory

47. I totally agree with you on the pizza! I think one big thing you are missing though is checking out the art museums. NYC is the ultimate city for that and even those who aren't so much into art can appreciate them as well <3

Stacey + thebambieyes.com

48. Anonymous says:

I absolutely love this post. My boyfriend and I will be going to New York in the next year or two, we are dying to go! Even more so after this post, noted down some of your advice! I best start to save now looking at your shop recommendations! Mel x
    littlemissmelanie.com

49. I absolutely LOVE new york, this just gave me serious wanderlust to go back!

Abigail Alice x

50. Raquel says:

Ahhh this made me love being a New Yorker even more. SHOPPING has to be my favorite part 🙂
    Omnivogues

51. Oh I really would love to go to New York one day it looks so good in your photo's.

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

52. Tara says:

Alas, I have never been to New York and have no plans to at the minute but reading this has made it almost impossible not to make plans! I will definitely have to start saving- the wanderlust is real!

Wow, love the photos – my favourites have to be that pizza and the squirrel. It must have taken ages to get that squirrel to pose like that with the little acorn! And I am literally salivating at that pizza. I wish Eatily would come to Australia! This was a great guide to New York, it ( along with Rome ) is a place I could revisit time and time again as theres always so many things and places to discover that you never did before. This was a great read, I really enjoyed it 🙂

54. Thuy Phamova says:

Great tips, thanks for sharing x

Bridge of Memories