How To Set Goals And Actually Achieve Them

how to achieve your goals, tips for 2017

In 2016 I often felt lost, like I didn’t know my purpose or where I was going. It sort of felt like a discovery year or a ‘floating’ year for me because I was constantly questioning what I wanted and where I wanted my life to go. Did that feel good? Most of the time no, so I knew I wanted to make sure 2017 would be different.

I mentioned in my ‘Why A New Year Shouldn’t Mean A New You’ post that I’ll probably never be the type of person that sets new year’s resolutions, but I have been re-assessing where I am vs. where I want to be and I’ve realised that half the reason I stalled on my goals in 2016 was because I wasn’t going about achieving them the right way. (I also procrastinate….it’s a downfall. I’m working on it.)

For 2017 I plan on actually achieving my goals and here’s my plan of attack for doing that:

how to reach your goals in 2017, tips and tricks

Change your mindset.

This is more than half the battle, I guarantee you. I tend to be a glass half empty person (yep, I’m one of those people) and it sounds simple but I’ve realised that if you genuinely don’t believe you can achieve something and you keep saying it out loud, you’re manifesting all of that negativity and nope, you won’t reach any of those goals because your head’s not in it. If you think you’re going to get your new dream job you won’t get it tomorrow just because you thought positively about it, but there’s plenty of research out there to prove that if you think very clearly about what it is you want and you actually believe you can get there, you’re paving the way to get those things and manifesting that, day by day.

Break them down.
We all have those huge scary goals that loom over us- they feel unachievable because they’re so big but you want to achieve them exactly because of that. To take things down a notch, look at your huge goals and break them down into smaller goals or even tasks that feel a little (or a lot) less scary. If you look at a small task you’ve made and it intimidates you, it’s too big- go smaller!
So say your big goal is to move to America. Make one of your smaller goals to research flights and another goal to research travel visas and different housing options etc. Break it down, it soothes the soul.

Actually write it down.

Our thoughts change like waves so unless you have a damn good memory the chances are you’re going to forget the ins and outs of exactly what you want. Write your goals in a journal, a word document, a scrap piece of paper or in the ‘Notes’ app on your phone- just take 10 minutes and actually write everything down as clearly and specifically as you can so that you can see them in front of you and look back on them whenever you need to.

Set a time frame for each smaller goal/task.

If it takes you 6 months to achieve a tiny goal then that’s probably not too productive, so set yourself a time frame for when to complete each small goal. Remember to be realistic as well, especially if you already struggle reaching a nice work/life balance.

Do something every day.

What you do can be tiny (and I mean tiny). So going with the example of the goal of wanting to move to America, if one of your small goals is to research flights then maybe one day you pull up some flight websites and another day you look at prices and another day you email a travel agent. There are 365 days in a year so even if you only do something tiny every day, imagine how much you’d get done by the end of the year as opposed to leaving everything to December and then panicking…

Be adaptable and open to change.

Just because you’ve written something down or planned a goal in January, don’t feel bad if you want to change your goals by March. We change, our perspectives change and our goals change along with it all and I think that’s fine. Don’t bother working toward goals you don’t really want because if you do, you won’t care when you reach them anyway.

Do you have any tips for achieving your goals?

50 responses to “How To Set Goals And Actually Achieve Them”

1. Cherie Koh says:

Good tips! I think the main thing is to take it one step of a time if it's something big, and try your best at it and don't feel guilty for not achieving it in one day. Nothing takes one day to succeed anyway! 🙂

Cherie ✽ sinonym

2. These are fabulous tips! I totally agree with what you said about actually writing them down. I find that when I do, I can physically see what I need to do and then I'm more likely to act and actually achieve them. x

Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

3. Charlotte says:

When I make goals I never write them down, I'm unsure as to why I don't but I really should!! It's such a simple tip but one to remember!
    Charlotte / Charlotte's Picks

4. Elishia says:

You're so right, believing you can do something is so important… my biggest downfall is believing others when they suggest that I can't OR aren't as enthusiastic about an idea as I am and I read into it. Being a people pleaser is such a pain. These are great tips 🙂

5. Amy M says:

I can so relate to feeling a little lost in 2016, glad to hear I'm not the only one! Writing down specific goals, thinking positive and using a daily planner has got me SO much more excited and optimistic for 2017 ♥

Amy // snippetsofamy.co.uk

6. Yiotou_La says:

These are great tips, especially the one that says to do something every day and be adaptable and open to change. Every year I set goals and resolutions but in 2016 I experienced some unfortunate events that made me think and reconsider about everything in life. So this year I have no specific goals, I just want to be happy and healthy! x

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

7. taislany says:

Totally agree with your tips. I really need to set a time frame for each thing I do, I'm sure it will make me much more productive.

Happy Friday Doll! Kisses,
    BLOG | TAISLANY

8. Great tips! I really should work on my dutch everyday 🙂

Laura
    Pink Frenzy

9. Parie Joshi says:

This post could not have come at a better time!!

10. Love this post girl and completely agree with 2016 feeling like a 'floating' year, it did for me too! I always find it helps to write down my goals and ticking them off is the BEST feeling! I hope you achieve everything you want to this year lovely!

Hayley xo

11. Love this. Writing down your goals and revising them too is so important. I also think it's true that when you ask for something you do get it but it might not always be how you expected it….the art is in how you change your mindset to see things and blessings in disguise. xx

franklyflawless.com| Jo Malone Giveaway

12. Such lovely tips! Thanks for sharing and a Happy New Year to you xx

Pallavi

13. Caitlin says:

Writing things down seriously helps me so much!

Caitlin, Beauty & Colour

14. Good tips, it's so easy to bring yourself down about not achieving goals. Or by setting goals which are unachievable unless broken down.

Amy – http://fourcatsplusus.co.uk

15. Annabelle says:

I find writing your goals down and making lists is so helpful! Also doing something small every day is a great tip!

x Annabelle
    travelsandtea.com

16. My tip is to change when you feel like it or when you know it's time for something new. I don't right things down and neither do I believe in resolutions. I think your mind and heart will automatically tell you when something needed to be done or change but that said, everyone have their own methods for themselves and do what feels right for you. xx

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

17. Great tips, I have just written my goals done recently in my diary and find it helpful to be able to look back at them and work towards them when I can see them straight in front of me (Plus it helps me not forget what I wanted to achieve haha)

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

So much excellent food for thought here 🙂 I'll have to work on writing things down as thats a good idea that I often omit. I need a clear picture of what I want and where I want to go and as you wrote – the belief that I can get there. I always like Ford's quote " if you believe you can that's true, if you believe you can't that's true " (or something along those lines) And at the very least – hope is much more powerful than doubt.
    Keep up the great work – love your blog!

19. Adrienne says:

Great tips! I find goals easier to accomplish if I post them where I'll see them every day. I also like to track changes to habits on a calendar.

20. Adrika says:

perfect!
    NEW BLOG ! please follow me : YOUNG BLOG

21. Honey says:

I believe writing it all down makes me wanna actually do it all. If I have some goal written down, all I want is to tick it so I could really see that I did it. It's the best motivation :))

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

22. Very nice points and I really like the way you write, it almost unwinds the negativity from the mind "I guess that's what you want to achieve too." 🙂

23. It's true that sometimes all we need is to remember to motivate ourselves by breaking big goals down x

Margaux / http://www.bonjourwhite.com

24. LOVE this – it's always better to set goals no matter how small they are in order to achieve them, you need to realistic when setting goals so I love this!!!

Loving the new layout, it's absolutely gorgeous and I am looking forward to your other posts – loving the photography too, think I've asked you but what camera do you use?