What No One Tells You About Travelling

travel tips and tricks

Travelling is amazing, it’s wondrous non-stop adventure of fun and happy memories and smiles and laughs, right? At least that’s what it looks like through a bunch of Instagram filters and hashtags…

I’ve been lucky enough to travel overseas quite a lot in my life and I’ve made some amazing memories, but in that time I’ve also dropped the idealised version of travelling that I once had. On social media you see photos of other people in these amazing destinations and it’s easy to get a giant case of fomo (fear of missing out) and I’m not trying to say that people travelling aren’t having an amazing time, but I think it’s important to be realistic as well and remember that a nice photo can make even the worst of situations seem picture perfect.

So here are 5 things about travelling that no one tells you…

new york fashion blogger

1- You’re travelling, but you’re still you.

No matter how many miles away you travel, depending on what your issues/problems are you tend to still carry them around with you like a bad cold that won’t go away. For me I have a few different kinds of anxiety and although it’s definitely alleviated when I’m enjoying myself travelling, I know that just because I’m in another country that doesn’t mean I’ll all of a sudden going to be anxiety-free. For me, knowing that actually makes it a lot easier to relax and stop being so hard on myself throughout the trip.

2- No one does the exact same thing.

There’s no ‘right’ way to explore a certain destination. Just because you’ve gone to Hawaii it doesn’t mean you have to spend every minute on the beach or surfing, maybe you’d prefer to spend your days exploring or shopping or just taking photos. You see people doing certain things in certain destinations and it puts pressure on you to do the same because you don’t want to feel like you’re missing out, but your trip is your trip so you should really spend your time doing what you want. Drop any expectations of what you think you need to do while travelling and just do what you genuinely feel like.

3- It’s a learning curve.

The first time you travel it’s okay to be a hot mess, in fact it’s probably a right of passage. On a family trip when I was younger we got to the airport and realised we’d forgotten the passports (good one dad) and I’ve beeped through so many airport security sections because I’ve forgotten I’m wearing earrings or something stupid like that. I think we’ve all made our fair share of stupid moves while travelling and you know what? Those stupid moves make for some hilarious stories later down the track so embrace them and feel better knowing we all make mistakes while travelling.

new york travel tips
melbourne fashion blogger

4- If you’re not travelling solo, arguments will happen.

If you’ve travelled with another person and never had one argument on your entire trip then honestly my hat goes off to you.

Personally, no matter how much I love the person I’m travelling with and no matter how well I get along with them, arguments happen. When they do, I think it’s important to remember that it happens to everyone and it doesn’t have to spoil your trip. That 5am flight where you had to wake up at 3am just to get to the airport on time, yeah, that’ll make you cranky. That night when you had an amazing time but only ended up getting half an hour of sleep? Yep, that sleep deprivation is like an argument waiting to happen.

Spats, disagreements and arguments don’t ruin trips but your reactions to them really can, trust me. Don’t let an argument throw off your day, just try and move on and forget about it. Forgive and forget and remember that that couple who are smiling next to you at dinner could’ve argued the hour beforehand, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t having an amazing trip!

fashion blogger outfit personal style

travel blogger

5- Not everyone is as trusting as you.

I’ve been lucky enough to never experience theft overseas but things like that have happened to a few people I know. I think you’re much more open to it if you’re a newbie traveller but honestly it can happen to anyone, and it’s usually not very pretty. When you’re travelling, I think if you just use your common sense and don’t look like an obvious tourist then you should be okay.

My biggest tips?
-Don’t put your wallet in your back pocket.
-Be more aware of your belongings in crowded places or on public transport.
-Wear your handbag across your body (if you can) while you’re in heavily populated places and keep your hands on it as you walk.

Likewise, I love to take photos while I travel but I always make sure that when I’m taking photos in a busy area I have a ‘spotter.’ By that I mean I like to have whoever I’m travelling with just watch me as I take photos to make sure no one pinches any of my things while I’m pre-occupied. This may seem unnecessary to some people and everyone tends to figure out their own little systems, just be reasonably cautious and find what works for you.

The same rules apply while travelling as they do back home, you probably won’t have anything stolen from you but it’s always better to be safe rather than sorry, especially because when you’re on a holiday you can be so relaxed that all common sense goes out the window…or at least mine does!

advice for travellers

I think travelling is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself, but when you travel you’re not dancing in a land filled with unicorns and rainbows and I think (speaking from experience) it’s important to enjoy your trip but it’s equally as important to not set yourself any unrealistic expectations. There is no ‘perfect’ trip so ditch your expectations and you’ll enjoy yourself so much more!

Are there any aspects of travelling that you think no one really speaks about?

58 responses to “What No One Tells You About Travelling”

1. I absolutely love this post!! There will definitely be bumps along the road while traveling but getting to experience new things and meet new people is totally worth it!

2. SweetAsMae says:

It was so nice for someone to shed some light on real travelling, not the glam overseas trips you see in the movies. Great post and travelling tips 🙂

Mae ♥

3. Caitlin says:

Love this post. It is so true that your problems will come with you even if you're on the other side of the world!

Caitlin, Beauty & Colour

4. Such a great post, not just highlighting the best things about trips but actually talking about real things and what issues can happen xx

5. Elizabeth says:

Such a great little guide!
    It's so easy to highlight all the best things when you travel but this post goes through really important factors you might not think of
    Thanks for sharing

Lizzie | Takeoffs & Landings

6. Hanh says:

Interesting post and I love your New York Snaps! I agree travelling is not all fun and games, it can be very stressful. I always get into some kind of spat with who I'm travelling with, it can't be helped in a foreign land. I went to Vietnam recently and had to be very savvy when taking photos as it's easy to get your equipment snatched. I sometimes feel there are moments when you're away you get home sick, which people don't really talk about.

Hanh | hanhabelle

• Ah thanks Hanh! It's always a relief to hear that other people argue and have spats as well, I swear like you said it just cannot be helped! You're right about getting home sick as well, that's definitely something I hear no one talk about…

7. Very true! I am SO careful of theft overseas, being stuck somewhere with no money or no passport terrifies me. I always make sure that I have a bag that zips closed, even better if it has a flap. When I was in Italy, a roma (gypsy) tried to pickpocket me as I was stepping onto a bus. She had her hand under the flap of my purse but was blocked by the zipper underneath thank goodness! And I turned around to get bus fare from my purse and caught her, she ran off.

Samantha Series

• I'm the same, if it doesn't have a zip I don't really want to carry it around with me! Although it does depend on my destination I think.

Ah you were so lucky with that gypsy as well! The first time I went to Rome a gypsy spat on me because I didn't give her money so…that makes for an interesting story nowadays at least? haha

8. Cherie Koh says:

The pre-travel process + flight is actually the worst for me because I hate packing (fear of not bringing something) and the long journeys to actually get to the airport, and on time is just a bit overwhelming sometimes. I always travel with a backpack which makes it much harder for things to get stolen (sometimes with a lock too) and it holds everything! Traveling is definitely not all instagram calls it to be, and reality is often very much different!

Cherie ✽ sinonym

9. Shell says:

Yet again, I find myself completely agreeing with you on all points! I'm terrified of being robbed anywhere (regardless of whether I'm overseas or at home), so I make sure I have my hand on my handbag at all times. I think people don't talk about how travelling solo can be a lonely experience at times, but also a rewarding one too. I also think people see travel as being glamorous, when it can be anything but…especially when you've stepped off an overnight flight with little sleep & get lost trying to find your hotel on foot from a train station. That happened to me on my trip last year & I'll never forget it!

• You always leave such lovely comments, thank you Shell 🙂

I think it's so easy to think of travelling as glamorous as well but honestly, there is nothing more un-glamorous than what I look and feel like when I get off a long haul flight….or back to back long haul flights- even worse!

10. Honest and real thoughts about traveling here! Still, I love traveling nonetheless! It's more than worth it.

11. Number 4 ALWAYS happens which is why I want to travel more on my own ahahaa, then you can decide where and when you get to go 🙂

Victoria

X

12. I totally agree with everything you've said, especially that arguments happen and that you shouldn't have to live up to anyone else's expectations of what your holiday should look like. Of course when you're travelling with other people you're going to have to compromise sometimes and do things that make them happy, and presumably they'll do the same for you, but if you'd rather go to the shops than go to the beach, or go to the beach instead of going for a hike, it's all about enjoying yourself, not doing what you think you should be doing.

littlehenrylee.net

• Yep, exactly! It sounds so simple but it honestly took me a while to stop feeling guilty because I didn't want to do what other people did in certain destinations.

13. Honey says:

This is a great post from the start to the end!
    I do love traveling although I rarely actually go anywhere. But these are some great tips 😀

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

14. Artdicted 2 says:

Totally agree to all your points. I know this is random, but you are really, really beautiful. You should be a model 😉
    Nati xx

15. Lauren says:

Lovely post, agree with so many of your points and I love the tips about not putting your purse in your backpack etc. You never know what will happen!

Lauren x http://www.huggled.co.uk/

16. This is great advice, especially about keeping yourself aware of your valuables when abroad

Mel ★ http://www.meleaglestone.co.uk

Brilliant points, and many of which everyone should keep in mind when travelling! I totally agree that whatever issues you may have at home, you'll still have when travelling in any given country. Lovely photos in this post, by the way 🙂

aglassofice.com

18. Oh yes, arguments do happen, and it can be annoying. As long as it get resolves, the trip can remain peaceful.
    Angie | Chocolate & Lipstick | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

19. Lindsey Puls says:

Every single thing you said in here is 100 percent true. Fantastic post! #4 is especially true for me…boy, do my husband and I get into some heated arguments sometimes when we're traveling. (Mostly due to lack of sleep and a need to find coffee/food NOW, haha.) But, it's good to know that we're not the only ones who go through these things when we're out exploring. 🙂

~Lindsey

• Thank you so much Lindsey! Oh you're definitely not the only ones, I think when you're sleep deprived (which can be really often when you're overseas exploring all the time) some of the worst arguments happen!

20. Sonja Kovač says:

100% agree with everything you said in this post, particularly point #5. Even more so if you're a blogger trying to get the perfect shot or video, always keep in mind holding your camera or phone away from your body or in the air can always attract a random passing by on a bike to just snatch it away in a split second! It has happened to many of my friends before!

• Very true! Since I started blogging I now take even longer to take a photo of something (anything!) because I want to make sure I get a nice shot, but it really leaves you open to a lot of theft incidents if you're not careful…

21. Vivian Yuen says:

So true! Especially the point re arguing with another person, gotta love and let go!

Vivian | LIVE . IN . LOVE

~

22. Such a good post babe! There's so many things to think about than just "having a good time", haha. And these images are incredible. I hope you enjoyed!

Ashleigh x

23. Vidya Gawas says:

Such a nice and well written post. Liked it.

24. I AM YASMIN says:

Such an honest post, totally agree that comprising is necessary when travelling with others. When I travel with family or friends, we all have lists of places and things to do so it creates arguments! The images are incredible, hope you enjoyed your trip:)

xo, Yasmin

25. Sometimes you also get sick haha & it's sad. I totally agree with #5 it hasn't happened to me but it's better to prevent than regret. I always won't forget how this family their goods where stolen & they couldn't get a flight back home. Big stress. But we always need to make things great with what we have & just enjoy the moment, those little things makes the trip the best.

Mafer Writes x

26. So much love for this post lady and very point is just so valid (especially the arguing one no matter who they are!). I also completely agree with the you're still you point, I think so many people travel to either escape or find themselves, and to a certain extent you do but it's just so important to be happy within yourself!

Hayley xo

27. I can really relate to point number 2, especially with the last trip I took. My friend and I got so many suggestions of where to go and what we should do on our trip that we didn't even know where to start. In the end we just went with the flow, scrapped all of the touristy stuff and just had a super chilled weekend hanging out and catching up. It actually ended up being one of the best city breaks I've had, so I think you're totally right with that one, it's best to do what you feel like in the moment. =D

Samio x

28. Such a good post – I totally agree that it's a learning curve. I went on my first 'city break' in Europe last year and I learnt so much about what I do or don't need to take with me next time!

Emma | HarmonyBlaze.co.uk

29. Kim says:

Very true. I love traveling but there are always some negatives that come with it. Fortunately, the benefits outweigh the costs, which is why I would never stop traveling!

Kim | Simply Lovebirds

30. chang mang says:

Sugar, spice and everything nice! That’s what the blog is about.
    free walking tour stockholm