How To Create Content You’re Proud Of

Content Creation tips

Something big for me in 2017 is making sure I’m pushing myself in the direction I’d like to be heading in life, rather than just sort of floating through it. I’ve taken this approach with my blog as well so I’m currently taking control and making changes to try and get to where I’d like to be with The Sunday Mode. Right now I’m starting at the baseline of the blog, with content.

When it comes to content and blogging, I think it can be difficult at times to feel like what you’re producing is original or unique because there are just so many blog posts out there. The sheer quantity of posts alone makes you feel like every topic ever known to man has already been covered. Not only that, but the blogging world definitely goes through ‘trends’ and it can be fairly difficult to not let yourself get influenced or persuaded by what other people are publishing.

So how do you make sure that you’re creating unique content that you’re actually proud of?

creating meaningful blog content

Write like no one is reading.Β
When we all started our blogs it was just our parents reading it, right? Or maybe that was just me…(hi mum, I know you still read my blog). Growing your blog readership is a brilliant achievement, but with each new reader it can be harder to strike a balance between writing what you want to write and writing what you think your readers want to read. If your most popular posts are beauty posts for example, for sure it would be hard to write travel posts from then on, knowing that people aren’t really as interested. It’s a bit of a juggling game but when it comes to writing new posts, I say try not to think about expectations and just write. Pretend like no one is reading. You can always tell when someone is genuinely passionate about the content they’re producing and in my opinion those posts are so much more enjoyable and authentic to read.

Write what you genuinely want to read.
This goes along with writing like no one is reading but when it comes to making sure you’re creating content you’re proud of just ask yourself this question before you publish a post- would you read it? If you came across that post on another blog, would it interest you? To create content you’re truly satisfied with, don’t publish a post if you wouldn’t read it yourself.

Don’t be intimated by the looming ‘niche’ buzzword.
I’m no super blogger so hey, maybe I’ve got the whole thing twisted but I’ve read so much about how every blogger needs to find their niche or your blog is going to crash and burn.Β Is there truth to that? Maybe. Do I follow that with my own blog? Nope. Maybe you’ll agree with me and maybe you won’t, but I think that by staying within a specific niche you’re limiting your mind, creativity and content. All of a sudden you can’t create the kinds of posts that you want because it doesn’t fit within your niche. It’s your blog so it’s your decision, but don’t feel restricted by the pressure people put on you to find a niche. I think with that freedom will come a heck of a lot of unique, memorable content.

Re-read your content on different days before you post it.Β

Back in ye old days when I first started my blog I used to post something and then delete it two days later because I no longer agreed with what I’d written or I didn’t feel proud of what I’d posted. I hate my perfectionist streak so this isn’t me advocating that at all, but to make sure you create content you’re proud of I’d say write your post, leave it a while and then come back to it at a different time on a different day to check you’re still happy to put that content out before you hit publish!

What do you do to make sure you’re publishing content you’re proud of?

(PS, please no one play a drinking game with how many times I just used the word ‘content’ in this post…)

40 responses to “How To Create Content You’re Proud Of”

1. I always try to write posts that I would love to read because otherwise I have no motivation to actually write them – and I feel like that's something you can definitley see when reading a blog! The last tip you gave is actually something I want to start doing, I rarely re-read my posts after writing them! x

Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

• Oh I kind of wish I could do that, when I draft up a blog post I just spill thoughts out of my head and when I re-read I have to fix up so much because it's just like what the hell was I thinking? haha

2. Shell says:

I always re-read & edit my posts before I hit publish, just to make sure there's no spelling mistakes (doesn't happen often, but sometimes it occurs) & so it all reads well. Eventually it gets to the point of "that'll do" because I've driven myself insane over the detail, but I think it's important to proof-read at least once. I tend to write like no-one's reading anyway, so I feel free to be me & write the way in which I like to write, which is also the way I (tend to) speak.

I'm so with you on the idea of niche blogging. I always knew when I started my blog that I wanted to write about different things & whilst beauty is my predominant topic, I also like to talk about other things too. Sure, I don't get as many reads from those other topics, but I've always believed that you should write for you first & foremost. It irks me big time when I see advice about writing within a niche because not all of us can do that – I know I can't & I'm sure you can't either. That bit of advice reads like pressure to me.

• I'm the same! Although I can't always write the exact way I speak (though I get pretty close) because I tend to make a lot of jokes when I talk and sometimes they don't really translate when I just write that way, if that makes sense.

Yep you hit the nail on the head as well, I can't stick to a niche to save my life. I would honestly get so bored, my hat goes off to anyone who can just stick to one topic.

I don't have a blog but commenting as a reader of blogs- I enjoy reading blogs where I can see the blogger's personality in their photos and writing and I can sense their honesty and passion for what they write. I also like a bit of humour injected into the writing if it's a natural thing for them and creative variety in contents and photos is very appealing to me. You have ticked all the boxes there which is why I continue to enjoy your blog:)

• That's a great way of explaining it and I really love when I can sense a blogger's honesty and passion as well. A lack of passion is always my biggest turnoff when it comes to finding blogs I love.

Thank you for that amazing comment and feedback as well Phoebe, I really hope you do enjoy the content I put out in future as well! πŸ™‚

4. Yiotou_La says:

I prepare my posts every Saturday and Sunday so I have them edited and ready to publish them during the week, but sometimes when I take my photos I really pleased with them and when I go back and re-read the post after a few days, I don't like them at all and have to re-take them. Strange thing how out taste changes within a few days but it happens. Great post!

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

5. I totally agree that the key to feeling proud of your blog and happy with it is to make sure you're producing content that your proud of. For me that means blogging about what I find interesting and not writing something because I've seen the idea somewhere else. I also know that I would never be able to stick to a set schedule because of the way my life is, so I don't like the idea of forcing myself to create content within a certain time frame. I'd much rather write when I'm ready to and post when I'm happy with the content instead of putting something out there that I'm not proud of because I had a self-imposed deadline. I also totally agree about re-reading your content on different days, I always write posts over several days and go back to them regularly and edit them and read over them before actually publishing anything. I like to make sure I'm happy with everything before it goes live.

littlehenrylee.net

• I'm the same, I like to leave a few days ideally between when I re-edit my posts because my mood and feelings just in general can change a crazy amount in that time frame.

6. Liz says:

This is all such great advice!

xo, Liz

7. So much truth in here. I love the idea of writing like nobody is reading. I think I often get caught up in a dilemma of 'Will this post be popular?' but more often than not, it's the posts from the heart that do well anyway! x

Martha Jane | http://www.marthajaneedwards.com

• I've found the same! All the posts I think will be popular usually don't end up being popular and the ones I worry if people will like end up being the most loved more often then not so I try not to overthink things!

8. SofiaaDot says:

These are such interesting points! I definitely think you shouldn't limit yourself creatively as then you are stopping yourself from doing what you want, and at least for me my blog is a hobby so I wouldn't want to stop writing about what I am interested in! Great post πŸ™‚

xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

These are great tips; I think readers can truly tell when enthusiasm and passion hasn't been put into a post. Love your idea of writing like nobody is reading!

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice | Worldwide Hotel Chocolat Giveaway x

10. Julia Bluhm says:

This is so true, and definitely something I kinda have struggled with since starting my blog. I get most of my views from Pinterest, and I always feel torn between whether I want to write something that will do well on Pinterest or something that I genuinely feel like writing, and people might not be super interested in reading. I think it's all about balance, or at least that's what I've found. It is kinda an intimidating thing, though, and I really enjoyed reading your tips!
    Julia || Julia in Bluhm

• Ah teach me your secrets! I'm just starting to get involved with Pinterest and I have no idea where to start!

So happy you enjoyed reading this post and I agree, I think it's all about finding a balance you're happy with πŸ™‚

11. These are all helpful tips for every bloggers! I found myself becoming self concious with my content, but I decided to write whatever I want & love & it made me love my blog even more!

Kaylee πŸŒ›γ…£JK's Dawn

12. These are all really good tips and I love the first point, 'Write like no one is reading', because that's when you're the most true to yourself. I love to read blogs that just spill their thoughts into words and are completely authentic, so I definitely agree that writing what you yourself want to read is the best way to go πŸ™‚
    Brigitte x

brigittehayley.com | youtube.com/brigittehayley

• I love reading those kinds of posts as well and that's something I'm trying to work on, I'd love to get more comfortable on this blog and just be able to properly spill all my thoughts!

13. Cecilia says:

This is my goal to write posts like that. Your thoughts are very inspiring! Thank you so much.

14. Ellies World says:

This was such great advice! A lot of the time I write posts that I'm not 100% happy with but I want to stick to the days I post and not miss a post. But I do think it's more important to be happy with what you're posting. xo
    ellieslittleeworld.wordpress.com

15. I love this – sometimes you go through a bit of a moment and you need to take a step back and really look at what you're writing. I have noticed (from myself) and others than we can sometimes get too involved with what's going on around us rather than keeping to things that we originally started writing about.

I'm a perfectionist too and am never 100%happy with what I do – I always feel like I can do 'that little bit more' but I now look at this as learning, we all have to start somewhere and when I look back at the beginning to now, it's a big step in a great direction.

I can't wait to read more from you and love the content you're writing – I always look forward to seeing your next post, your next adventure and of course admire the photos as you take them beautifully whether it's fashion, beauty or lifestyle!

• Yes that's exactly how I feel as well! It's so hard to not be influenced by what's around you though, especially when everyone seems to be writing about one particular topic or product etc.

That last line of your comment literally almost made me cry (I'm such a typical Pisces)- thank you so much, you have no idea how much that means to me πŸ™‚

16. Tiffany Legg says:

Writing what you would want to read is a great tip!

Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

17. Naya Tilly says:

This was such an interesting post to read; I couldn't agree more – after all we should do whatever we want to with our blogs and topics can always change over time. Yours is very nice by the way! xx

Naya // http://www.partyparrotblog.com

18. Hollie Ann says:

I love this post and I completely agree with what you're saying. It's definitely hard to keep it real and original when so many other bloggers are talking about the same thing. I try to write like I'm talking to a friend – and hope my parents don't stumble across my swearing! I also agree that you don't necessarily need a niche to have a successful blog, it can be so limiting to only write about one topic and anyway, who says we can't write about 54 different topics if we like! To make sure I produce content I'm proud of, I make sure it's the best it can be before I post – tweaking grammar, sentences and even photos if needs be.

Hollie | ItsHollieAnn.com

• I would find it so difficult to write about only one topic! People that can do that are seriously talented because I just don't have enough to say about one single topic, you know?

I do a similar process before I publish a post and I still find it so irritating if I later end up finding grammatical errors and things like that. I'm like damnit I checked for all of this! Haha

19. kyia belle says:

I wrote a post similar to this a while ago called "How to Write the Blog You Want to Read," that I'll link below for you to check out if you like. It's so important to write and do the things you want to do for you, not based on what other people want you to do. This links to authenticity, and helps you to see which bloggers really mean what they say- and it's SO EASY to tell, based on how they write their posts- if it sounds like everybody else, or if it sounds like themselves! I planned on focusing on my content this 2017 as well, and so far I haven't posted a single post that I wasn't proud of, or that didn't represent my thoughts. xx

The post I mentioned: How to Write the Blog You Want to Read
    Let’s be BLOGLOVIN friends!

20. Ophelia Tang says:

I love everything about your site! The look is perfect and it's so inspirational. Really keeps me on my toes. Thank you so much for the share!

XOXO // Check out my latest post if you like πŸ˜‰
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | HOW TO | Small Bag in a Big City