3 Steps To Improve Your PM Routine

minimal white books PM glasses blogger
Since being in the blogging world it’s really hit me that a lot of people seem to have these elaborate, regular night time routines and as much as I try, that just ain’t me. Don’t get me wrong, some nights I will literally stay at my bathroom mirror for 20 minutes doing a five step skincare routine and then I’ll read, meditate and eventually go to sleep. Other nights? There’ll be none of that, not even a face wash, just bed. Funnily enough there never seems to be an in between. Even though my routines tend to be all or nothing, I’ve recently realised that there are three things I can easily do each night that make me feel a lot better in the morning. Two of which I just naturally did anyway, one I’m still working on (step 3). So whether you’re someone who has no nightly routine or a whole set of rituals planned out, try incorporating these three things:

resolve any conflicts
I’ve always slept like a coma patient deeply but even I have trouble sleeping if I’m in the middle of a fight or if there’s some unresolved argument going on. If I know someone is mad at me for whatever reason or if I’m mad, I can’t sleep. I just feel too uneasy and don’t like the feeling of knowing that I’ll wake up and things are still unresolved. I’ve always held the belief that sleeping is like wiping a slate clean, so if you can be the bigger person and make up with someone so that everyone is on the same page again before you go to sleep, do it, you’ll sleep a lot more peacefully.
On the other end of the spectrum if you’re in a position where you’re feeling worry or dread about something that’s coming up or something you’ll have to deal with the next day, spend five minutes before bed writing a small list (AKA an action plan) of things you could do in the morning that would make you feel better and slightly less overwhelmed.  Making sure you go to sleep each night without anything heavily weighing on your mind is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself.

the sunday mode lifestyle blogger
“10 people have been stabbed in their sleep in Ohio this evening”   <- oh yeah, hearing that right before bed will lead to really peaceful dreams I’m sure.
 If you’re someone who regularly watches the news, resist the urge to make it the last thing you watch before you sleep and if you’re not a regular news watcher then just avoid watching it at night altogether. You usually take into your dreams the last thing you’ve watched right before bed so if it’s something really negative or over-stimulating that’ll definitely make for more of a restless night. Horror movies or intense thrillers may not be the best option for directly before bed either but it’s all about experimenting and finding what works for you. For me, my line is drawn at The Walking Dead.  I can watch TWD before bed because I usually find it pretty mild (except s7 ep1…) but I’m not about to pop on Texas Chainsaw Massacre right before I hit the hay, you know? You want to try and give yourself something good to dream about.

being more mindful
Something I’ve really been trying to do is to say three things I’m grateful for right before I shut my eyes. You might be grateful for a supportive relationship, a delicious meal, that fact that you passed an exam or you might just choose to be grateful for the fact that you have the ability to walk and talk. Picking three things big or small before bed each night has really been helping me to feel more positive and I feel like when I do this I go to sleep in a much more level-headed, appreciative state of mind.

Do you think you’ll be adding any of these steps to your PM routine?

43 responses to “3 Steps To Improve Your PM Routine”

1. Omg I agree 100% with #2!! I can't go to sleep after watching a scary movie or something like that. If I do I have to watch something less intense like spongebob or YT vids! I need to try #3 sounds like a great idea.
    xo | Cindy Elena

2. Love your tips Julia! I never go to bed mad it's a rule Isaac and I made years ago!

Sarah | More Than Adored

3. I totally agree with you about that first point, I find it really difficult to sleep when I'm upset, and you're right that writing an action plan or figuring out a way to deal with it is a great idea if it's something you can't resolve straight away, like a work issue. I'm a big list maker and always have several of them running because I don't like feeling like I'm going to forget anything important and I think that really helps put my mind at ease so I don't keep going over the same things that I know I need to do – once they're written down I can go back to that list at any time.

littlehenrylee.net

4. Cait Rammy says:

Great tips! I don't have a PM routine at all, changes all the time too. Step 2 is probably a good idea… The other night I binge-watched The Keeper on Netflix – it's about an unsolved murder case haha didn't quite help falling asleep.

cait / cait rammy

5. I actually love this post and agree that certain things need to be set in order to make sure you relax and make some time for yourself. Working on the blog for hours on end and into the night isn't the best and whilst I admit that I still work a lot – I have tried to make more time for myself and feel so much better, so much more relaxed and it really helps with everything else in general.

Wishing you a wonderful week lovely!!! Loving your new blog theme and layout, it's absolutely gorgeous!

• That's great that you've been making a conscious effort to take time for yourself at night Layla, you definitely have to take care of yourself before anything else- that's what I always believe!

6. Fiona Bernal says:

Definitely love these tips! I don't like to have unresolved conflicts before going to sleep so my bf and I make sure we settle it beforehand 🙂

trulyfionaa.blogspot.com

I'm in agreement with all these points, I can see that they would all be extremely helpful to initiate. I find watching a little bit of comedy the best choice before sleep too 🙂
    I used to say things I was grateful for before I fell asleep, thanks for the reminder – I will incorporate it in again 🙂

8. All brilliant points – I especially love the resolve conflicts one, ever since I first watched Spiderman I've never been able to sleep without resolving/settling an argument so definitely understand that one! haha! I love the being thankful one too, I've recently been getting into the Law of Attraction and am really into the habit now of writing down/saying aloud 5 things I'm grateful for and it's so good to put you in a good mood!

JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

9. Lubka Henry says:

Last week I really haven't been able to sleep well. I suppose it's a lot due to crazy hormones right now, but I'll try your tips as well 🙂

10. Gemma says:

I am in the middle of thousand of conflicts! Work, mortgage, bank, you name it! My sleep is getting worst! Thank you for sharing those tips!

11. Love these tips – I personally like to write down any good things that have happened during the day and focus on what I'm grateful for. I don't like going to bed with a negative mind! x

Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

12. I try to avoid any news before I go to bed. It helps to read also or just relax in bed and chat with my boyfriend before I fall asleep =o) Thanks for sharing these tips!

• Oh for sure, all of those things can be really relaxing. Personally I love to read before bed, although if a book is really good sometimes it's hard to sleep because I don't want to stop reading.

13. Daniel Poon says:

Thanks for sharing the tips!

Daniel x

The Daniel Originals | Instagram: danielpoonvignez

14. Diana Maria says:

Aw these are so wonderful, I've been trying all of these lately. I pray and say what I am grateful for at the end of each night which really helps. I also try to do a short yoga session to relax, and to resolve any issues I may have. I sleep like a rock as well! Literally nothing can wake me up haha xx

Sending light & love your way,
    My Lovelier Days

• So happy to hear you've been giving all of these a go! Glad I'm not the only one who sleeps like a rock, I actually once slept through a tsunami alarm warning because I was in such a deep sleep…

15. These are some wonderful tips! I've also gotten myself a little journal and have been writing down 3 things I'm grateful for that day & also 3 good things I felt I did that day or that might have happened to me, even if it's just something small! Especially if you feel like you haven't had such an amazing day, the bad always seems to weigh out the good, so if you can pinpoint even just one good thing or something you're grateful for, it definitely helps to go to sleep with a more positive mind! Beautiful picture at the beginning of the post too 🙂

Xo Gemma
    Sunday Somewhere

• I love that Gemma! Looking back on what you've written down in that journal must be a really good feeling as well I'd imagine?

Thanks for your comment on my picture too, that means a lot! 🙂

16. Katie says:

Number 2 is too true-I always end up watching conspiracy theories or hard-thinking documentaries and end up lying awake!

Katie // wordsbykatie.com

17. I definitely have trouble falling asleep if there are unresolved issues to think about or something makes me anxious. Writing an action plan is a great idea to solve it!

On the other hand, I have no trouble sleeping after watching something intense.

Lona | lonajasmiin.com

• That's good though! That's why I think it's about finding what works for you, some people can't close an eye after watching a horror film before bed and other people genuinely couldn't care less and sleep like a baby haha

18. I'm a huge believer in the importance of gratitude, no matter how difficult we may think things are there is always stuff to be grateful for x

franklyflawless.com

19. hellohillory says:

Loved this!! Also totally agree with #2… whenever I watch something too intense before, it takes me sooo long to fall asleep afterwards. Great tips girl!

xo,

H

20. This is such good advice! I love spending time doing face masks before bed or meditating but it's definitely not a routine for me – who has the time? Eliminating even small stresses is such a clever idea for sleeping more peacefully xx

21. Hope you're well hun – have a lovely start to the week! 🙂

22. Haha! I loved your comment about TWD and how that one episode wasn't a.o.k. to watch before you sleep. I try to have an elaborate night time routine, but like you, I'm unable to stick to it every night. I have this app where I can write down the three things I'm grateful for, but I forgot that I can simply say this in my head before I go to sleep if I'm too tired to pull out my phone. Wonderful post! I'm glad to have found your blog 😀

Natalie | Holistic Health, Lifestyle, & Travel