3 Ways To Rekindle Your Love For Makeup

getting your love for makeup back

Way back in the day, I used to come home from high school and watch Blair’s (aka juicystar07’s) makeup tutorials and I’d try to copy them with the 4 makeup products in total that I owned. I didn’t care that I didn’t have many products or what brands they were, I was just so excited to try and recreate the looks. Even if they failed miserably, I still had fun. Now years later in a world full of highlighting and baking and strobing, I hit this wall where I sort of fell out of love with makeup and it just wasn’t exciting me anymore. I wanted to re-spark that passion and here’s how I did it:

#1. GET BACK TO BASICS

Watching makeup tutorials on Youtube is what kicked things off for me. They got me interested in the whole makeup and beauty industry and I started seeing makeup as art, except my face was the canvas. Usually it’s something different for each person but as beauty lovers, we all have something that kicked off our journeys for us. I mean, we didn’t come out of the womb with a beauty blender in our hands…wait, did we? So if you’re feeling like you’ve fallen out of love with makeup, I’d really encourage you to think about what it is that made you first fall in love with makeup, or made you first start being curious about makeup and get back to that!

burberry midnight brown eyeshadow and tanya burr bear hug lipstick review

#2. RE-CREATE TUTORIALS

I think there’s a reason why watching tutorials is what sparked my love for makeup, there’s just something about them. Watching those kinds of old school tutorial videos again hits a huge nostalgia note for me but it also sparks some serious excitement, all of sudden I want to go through my entire makeup stash and start swatching things and playing around with what I have and pretending like I’m doing a YouTube tutorial when I’m doing my makeup even though I’m alone in my bedroom. To get you excited about makeup again, try finding a makeup tutorial that you love and recreate it! Personally I find it really fun to re-create movie/TV character looks or celebrity looks, but do whatever makes you feel the most giddy.

the sunday mode blogger melbourne

My tutorial re-creation:
After watching this tutorial by Tanya Burr, I decided I wanted to try and do a softer, more day time friendly version of that look. Using a light hand and the *Burberry eyeshadow in No. 21 Midnight Brown I did my best to follow Tanya’s instructions to bring this Cara inspired look to life. Because I was on Tanya Burr kick and needed a nice neutral toned lipstick to finish this look off, I used the *Tanya Burr lipstick in ‘Bear Hug.’ It’s a lovely nude shade that’s a very flattering blend of apricot and pink hues and the formula is really impressive for the price point (it’s much better than MAC’s formula!).

I’ll admit it, I wanted this Midnight Brown eyeshadow purely because I wanted to recreate this tutorial but I’m so glad I got it! The shadow has got that signature Burberry packaging with the embossed Burberry design, it suits my fair skin and it’s the perfect deep, smokey brown shade that you could easily play up or down to make more of a subtle or intense look. Needless to say, re-creating tutorials is one of my favourite things to do at the moment, it makes me feel like a simple kid who’s just excited about makeup again.

PS- if you want to recreate this look as well, you can use my code SUNDAY10 for 10% off when you spend $50 (AUD) on Feel Unique!

charlotte tilbury wonderglow primer review

#3. PLAY UP WHAT YOU LOVE

With makeup there always seems to be one item or step in a makeup routine that people enjoy the most. For one person, they might love doing their eyeshadow and for another that might feel like a chore because they’re all about the lips. For me? Oh baby it’s highlighting.

From the moment I saw that I could add a luminous glow to my cheeks, it was love. Highlighting is the one step I’ll never skip, highlighters are the products that excite me the most and highlighting is the one part of doing my makeup that brings me the most joy. To get your love for makeup back, think about which makeup steps or techniques you love the most and bring your focus to that. So if you love brows, maybe you go and get yours shaped, research new brow products or spend some time grooming and shaping your own.

My pick? If like me you love highlighters and looking glowy then make your next purchase the *Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Primer. The product itself is a luminous liquid (with a watery consistency) that initially looks gold and shimmery when swatched but as you blend it into the skin the shimmer disappears, leaving you looking dewy, glowy and radiant. It’s technically a primer but you can blend it with your moisturiser or foundation, or both. Currently I like to apply this after my moisturiser, do the rest of my makeup normally and then proceed to stare at my glowy cheekbones whenever I walk past a mirror all day….just the thought of using this makes me eager to go and do my makeup.

Have you ever fell out of love with makeup?

*These products were sent to me to try. I tried them, I love them and that’s why they’re in this post! This is not a sponsored post but this post does contain some affiliate links.

48 responses to “3 Ways To Rekindle Your Love For Makeup”

1. Seppy says:

I love these tips! I think that I use makeup for fun – I look forward to doing my makeup in the morning and if there are days I don't feel like it, then I just stick to basics and do a simple face and I'm okay with it haha

2. Julia Bluhm says:

Great tips! I've definitely gone through periods of falling and in and out of love with makeup. These are nice tips– and I've definitely done the pretending-to-be-doing-a-makeup-tutorial thing ahaha. 😉
    Great post!
    Julia |Julia in Bluhm | instagram

3. Tash says:

I love the idea of recreating tutorials! I used to do this WAY back when I was starting playing around with makeup. I would love to do this again!

x Tash / The-happening-collective.com

4. I definitely get bored of makeup sometimes, and then when I have a few makeup free days I get so excited to wear it again! xx

5. Do you really like Tanya Burr lipstick? And as always beautifully written blog post – love it! xx

6. Fa nny says:

I always go through phases where makeup isn't exciting for me anymore! I don't really know how I go back on the makeup train, but I always seem to do, even if it sometimes takes several months! I love the sound of the CT Wonderglow Primer! I need to try it out!

7. Anika May says:

Love the tips! This is so helpful for me as I find myself getting less and less excited about makeup – thanks for sharing!

Anika xo | anikamay.co.uk

8. Becky says:

Woah, if you didn't mention juicystar07 I wouldn't have even known it was that blair you were talking about! Haha, sometimes parts of makeup feels like a chore – I actually don't really enjoy putting concealer or false lashes on :p

I don't think i've ever fallen out of love with makeup, but since I like doing more bold/colorful looks, I feel like I'm in a rut. But it always picks itself back up!

becky @ star violet

• Yeah I swear I grew up watching Blair's videos and her sister Elle's! Ah see I never do bold or colourful looks, mainly because I feel like my skills aren't really at that level!

9. i do own loads of makeup but for a day to day look i like to keep it simple and fresh and it really does work for me. sometimes going back to basics is the best.
    ❤︎

10. Great post. I started off with watching You tube videos too. Every time I go back to watching my fav You tubers, I feel inspired x

franklyflawless.com

11. Thanks for that! I can get so lazy with make up these days now that I am married lol!

12. Lucie Aubry says:

I'm not the biggest makeup fan out there, but I can totally watch hours of makeup tutorials before even realizing that I've clicked on one! There is something exciting about this!
    Lucie, xx

13. Recently I felt like I was uninspired with my make up, my cousin who loves make up helped me out one day and showed me other ways I can use what I already own, now I love putting make up on again each day =o)

Number 1 is definitely favourite from your list; getting back to basics can really help you focus on quality rather than quantity. Hope you're having a fantastic week so far babe!

aglassofice.com

15. Paula says:

Love these tips! I find that recreating tutorials is a great way to change things up a bit. I always end up digging a bunch of products I forgot I love, whenever I recreate looks. I used to have so much free time to play around with makeup, so it's nice to go back to doing that once in a while 😉

Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

16. Honey_R.L. says:

Oh, I'm not the only one. I love pretending that I'm making a tutorial haha it is just more fun and I love it 😀
    also, sometimes I'll just do a look at 10 p.m. creating something I would never actually wear haha (you can find one of those looks here in my post

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

17. Yes yes yes to recreating tutorials! I always find that trying out new looks and trying to recreate one I've found online is one of the best ways to fall in love with make-up again.

Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

18. Such fab tips lovely! Hahah I totally pretend I'm doing a tutorial when applying makeup too! I always get inspired to try out different looks super late at night like after I've washed my face and when I'm just about to go to bed! So weird hahah x

TOUCHOFGS

• It actually makes me so happy that other people do that too, hehe

Oh that used to be what would happen to me too! On the days where I wasn't going anywhere I would suddenly feel like smothering my eyes in eyeshadow :p

19. I loved this post and your recreation! When I get stuck in a rut with my makeup, I always try to learn new things with youtube and IG! 🙂

20. Samantha says:

For me, I'm not sure there was ever a time when I fell OUT of love with makeup, more so coming to a point where I felt like I wasn't really appreciating what I had. I got so caught up in buying new products, and hardly using them… so I made it a point to try out new looks every week and just play around with what I had! I forgot about YouTube tutorials though, they got me interested in makeup too!

Sam / My Beauty Cloud

• Seems like tutorials got a lot of us interested! That's a great way you've came up with to appreciate what you have, I might take your idea and do the same 🙂

21. Lovely tips! I have had my moments where I fall out of love with makeup.

ahintofbeauty.blogspot.com

22. Tiffany Legg says:

Lovely tips as always. Going back to basics is always something that works, or having a play to create a new look with something you already own. x

Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

23. Laura says:

Some great tips here, going back to basics is always a great way to re-kindle your love for makeup. A great mascara, simple eyeshadow, liner, and a lip balm seem to be great favourite basics for me.

The Burberry eyeshadow looks beautiful, always a very classy brand.

Thanks for sharing!

Laura xo

24. Layla says:

Absolutely love this post!! It’s perfect and there’s so many times when I have fallen out of love with makeup and don’t want to wear anything haha! I love this post though – it’s great to see people sharing tips and seeing that so many people are going through the same thing!