Is Dressing Minimally Boring?

minimal fashion jo mercer boots

First off, I’d just like to address the fact that my face in these photos is basically the same colour as the white building behind me…I mean, pale people problems.

melbourne fashion blogger

So minimal is kind of the new ‘it’ word of 2017, huh? It seems like everything minimal is in fashion. Minimalist living, minimal style, minimal decor and design, living minimally. Well, maybe that’s not how it is out there in the real world but it sure feels like minimalism has taken the blogging, Youtube and social media world by storm.

I’m in too minds about minimalism, on the one hand I’m all for creating a more decluttered lifestyle because I can throw things out like there’s no tomorrow and I find that quite easy. Sentimental birthday cards? Bin it. Keepsakes? Bin it. I’m pretty damn ruthless. Then on the other hand…sometimes I kinda like stuff and don’t want everything in my work life and general life to be minimal.

With fashion though, I realised the other day that minimal is my thing. I like to experiment but even my experimenting is pretty minimal. Before I shot these photos I found myself feeling bad because I wanted to do a style post but thought “people will think this outfit is way too basic and boring.” Then it hit me, I dress minimally every day of my life, it’s just my style, so I’m probably going to always question whether or not an outfit is “too basic” for my blog. People will either like that for what it is, or not, and that’s that.

I keep things simple, I style things simply and I’m totally ok with that. But it does beg the question, is dressing minimally boring?

Short answer, no. Long answer? Buddy you gotta read the post.

fashion blogger melbourne the sunday mode

Minimal is like a permanent capsule wardrobe.

When I didn’t used to dress minimally (those photos shall come with me to the grave) I always felt like I couldn’t wear the same thing twice because each clothing item I had was so damn memorable on it’s own. It’s like I had this little Hannah Montana style butterly bolero (don’t ask) when I was around 13 and I’d wear it one day while I was out with my friends but then not want to wear it the next because I just felt like everyone would think I only had one thing in my wardrobe. Ah, 13 year old problems.

Would I mind now wearing my simple black shirt with one of my neutral coloured coats 5 days in a row? Not at all.

I’ve found that by dressing minimally and having those pieces fill your wardrobe, it means you’ve got a lot of…well, basics. You’ve got pieces that fit together like a puzzle perfectly and pieces that can be put together really easily and so because of that, if you dress minimally then it’s like your wardrobe is like a permanent capsule wardrobe. For whatever season comes along, clothing-wise you’re well and truly covered.

melbourne minimal fashion blogger

Minimal always allows room to grow.

As you grow older your personality shifts and (hopefully) evolves and your style usually evolves as that time passes as well, or at least that’s how it’s been for me. When my wardrobe was filled with one of a kind, stand out pieces I felt a little stuck. I loved each piece I bought at the time I bought it, but a year later or even a few months later I usually would feel as if I’d outgrown the pieces and it wasn’t quite reflective of me anymore, so I didn’t know what to wear. Not everyone wears clothes that are particularly reflective of themselves at that time or how they’re feeling but I do, so to feel uncomfortable in my clothing and like I was wearing ‘fad’ or ‘trend’ pieces that I didn’t even like anymore…it just felt very limiting.

With a much more minimal wardrobe, because each piece is so simple, simple also translates to classic so you can pair the same items together but just in a different way, add a couple accessories and it’ll look completely different. So based on your moods and as you change and grow up, your wardrobe can account for your changing style without you having to continue to buy new pieces. So despite what people may think, I’ve actually found that having a wardrobe full of minimal pieces has been less limiting.

outfit details fashion blog

Minimal is always in fashion.

The thing about trend pieces is that they don’t tend to stand the test of time. They’re the items that 10 years later you see yourself wearing in photos and you think to yourself “why the hell did I wear that?!”. On the other hand, I think there’s an incredible amount of flexibility and freedom that comes with dressing minimally.

No matter how much time passes, if you dress with a minimalist mindset you’re always going to be in fashion purely because those kinds of items just don’t go out of fashion, at least not in the same way that trend pieces do. So if you dress minimally, you can look at other eras and style icons that also dressed minimally for inspiration and you’ll find that those pieces still work for today’s era as well. The sheer possibilities of that is what makes me excited to get dressed in the morning.

By definition, ‘boring’ would refer to something dull and monotonous, right? To me, I feel like dressing dull is a completely other issue, but I guess dullness or boredom in styling can mainly come from pairing your outfits together the same way, every single time. So yeah, dressing minimally can be boring at times but so can dressing not minimally! It’s all just about how you style things, and how you feel in the clothes you wear.

jo mercer boots fashion blogger

So is dressing minimally boring? Not at all.PS- please no one play a drinking game with how many times I’ve said ‘minimally’ and ‘minimal’ in this post…

47 responses to “Is Dressing Minimally Boring?”

1. Lucie Aubry says:

I love this look so so much! Like everything about it, your jumper, your jeans, your boots (gosh they're amazing) and your sunglasses and how it's all simple but oh so beautiful!
    Lucie, xx

2. Personally, I love minimal style, I think its chic, it is easy and you always look wonderful. I love just simple basic tops or jeans, even though time to time O throw something random in my wardrobe I always come back for minimal!

3. Cherie Koh says:

Hahaha love the comment about the drinking game… definitely MANY times 😛 I love your style but probably can't pull off minimal for my entire wardrobe! That said, a lot of my favourite pieces are based around a unique style and I wear it a lot and wouldn't mind wearing it over and over. For example, pleats are my favourite and I have two dresses that I've worn even though they're no ~that~ basic. I think having half minimal with colourful picks works best for me, so I have a more balanced look hehe. I love colour too much!

Cherie ✿ delicately.xyz

4. I love dressing minimally! I agree it is always in style
    Isabelle x

5. Antonia says:

Amazing post. I love to include minimalism in every aspect of my life. I'm not really a materialistic person so I like to realyl think if need something or not. I'm the same way when it comes to fashion as well. x

Antonia || Sweet Passions

6. Kris says:

I love following the minimalist approach when it comes to fashion too! Your outfit is absolutely stunning, I'm in love with the boots!

Have an amazing day!

xx Kris | https://dreamingofpink.wordpress.com

7. I love minimal outfits with a statement bag or shoes something to stand out ! But for everyday I like just a very minimal outfit !

8. Elle Files says:

Living minimally is definitely good for you and the environment, so I have no issues with people adopting a more minimalistic approach to things. Also, I understand what you mean when you say that people might think your look is boring as we are so used to seeing bloggers strutting around in Vintage Prada and Chanel. While that's aesthetically pleasing, it's not realistic. Sometimes, boring is good and much needed. I'm all for jumper-and-jeans pictures any day!

Lavanya | Elle Files

• Oh good to know! You're right though, I think there's just such an over-saturation at the moment of bloggers and social media personalities wearing extremely expensive or one of a kind items and I mean that is nice to look at, but not attainable for most people.

Loved the humour in your written expression, it makes reading so enjoyable 🙂
    I enjoy seeing blogs with pictures of minimalist looks as it gives me lots of practical ideas of how I can put things together that look like they are effortless but look great- "more bang for your buck."

• Yay thanks Phoebe, I try to write it like I'd say it 😉

I'll keep that in mind for my future posts, so maybe then I won't worry ahead of time is something it too basic or not!

10. Becky says:

Ha, I'm the same with my wardrobe! probably 90% of the pieces I own are either blue, black, white, or grey. Which means everything will always match, haha! I think a good pair of shoes or a nice bag, or even accessories (I'm not really the type to wear a lot of jewelry though) will spice anything up anyway.

Agreed with the not being able to wear the same thing twice – with louder, bolder pieces I found that I had to match it to a specific pair of jeans or a specific color. If I buy something I'd like to get a lot of use out of it.

becky @ star violet

• I know right, I just can't seem to go past those shades when I'm shopping. God damn addictive neutrals! haha

I'm the exact same, if I want to buy something but I can only wear it with like one specific combo, I'm out.

11. whatismaria says:

First of all, I absolutely love those photographs and your outfit! And I couldn't agree more with the points you're making. I used to have such a varied wardrobe, would buy pieces I wore once and then abandoned, and shifting to a reduced wardrobe with a couple of basics helped me not only declutter mentally but also make sure I have something to wear every day. Funnily enough, the smaller my wardrobe got the fewer 'I have nothing to wear' days I had. And of course, picking nice accessories is a really good way to 'spice up' a minimal outfit!

Maria (http://whatismaria.wordpress.com)

• Thanks Maria! That's really nice of you to say :)]

The same thing happened to me with my wardrobe and I find that when I go to get dressed now I feel much better about my options! Plus I agree, when you dress minimally it's really easy to spice up your outfit with accessories or boots or a bag!

12. I like your outfits and they fit really well with your persona. To be honest, this year it's been for me a whole wardrobe change, I barely keep any of the clothes I am buying unless I really need an item or I really like it. I have my favourite pair of jeans that I wear them all the time and same with boots. Great post and great topic 🙂

13. Katya says:

It's not boring. Be comfortable with your style or what you want to wear. Love you photos!

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

High five for also being seeeeriously pale! Pale and interesting though, right?! Or at least that's what I tell myself, haha. Love your thoughts in this post, particularly of how minimalist style kind of lends itself inadvertently to creating a capsule wardrobe – good point!

aglassofice.com

15. Lovely post. Minimal dressing isn't boring at all. There's so many ways to have fun with it. (:

Single Vegas Girl

16. Paula Loreti says:

Minimal style is super trendy for me. I mean, maybe you don't have a lot of colours of clothes but you have classics that match great with everything. I love your outfit btw

17. Ana Picazzo says:

Julia, I have always liked the way you write, you always make me laugh 🙂 You look stunning in those photographs and I need to agree with you in everything minimalistic. I feel like my personality has changed in the last few years and I find myself filling my wardrobe with a lot more basic pieces. I adore minimalistic fashion, however, I don't find it as easy to be minimalistic in other aspects of my life, I still can't throw away those birthday cards my friends made be back in third grade.

Ana
    Indie Suns | Bloglovin' | Instagram

• Yay that makes me really happy because I try to write the same way that I speak! And thank you! It's really nice when people take the time to say things like that in comments 🙂

Yeah I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse that I find it so easy to throw things out? :/

18. Minimal styling always is so stylish and chic. Love the outfit babe! x

19. Minimal styling is my go-to – I think it just looks so swish! I love love LOVE your boots! 🙂

20. Yaramel says:

This post came at such right time. I started dressing minimal since last year and so did my style posts. Sometimes I wonder if it's too boring for my readers but I can't care really. I love neutral colors and classic clothes now, a capsule wardrobe I'll never get sick of. I think it's all about having fun with proportions and accessories!

Lovely post as always 😀

• Yes! That's exactly how I feel as well. Plus in the end I always figure that I just have to dress how I want to dress and if some people find that boring then so be it I guess!

21. Honey_R.L. says:

I don't know if I would describe my style as minimal as I love some statement pieces that really stand out, but I know I can't go wrong with black shirt and jeans so that's also kinda my favorite look.
    also, I'm so sentimental, I couldn't throw anything haha well not anything, but I love holding on to some stuff that have some meaning…
    I don't know if it's boring or not, cause the way you look here is simple, basic and not boring. But I've seen some Instagram profiles with all basic stuff and they're really boring. I guess it depends on multiple factors for me…

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

22. Kim says:

I always worry that my minimalist clothes is boring, but to be honest, I would rather be a little boring now than be completely embarrassed ten years later looking back on my photos, although I really want to see your Hannah Montana clothes from back then! Hahaha bring it back! 😀

Simply Lovebirds

23. Dominika says:

I loved this post so much and I'm also on the minimalist side or at least I try to shape my wardrobe like that and fill it with just a few bold items. Plus a minimalist wardrobe is timeless so it's definitely something that I want.

Dominika // dominikaszeles.blogspot.com

24. Layla says:

More often than not – minimal is better as it allows you to stay comfortable whilst being stylish so I don’t think it’s boring. I think you look absolutely beautiful and your outfits always have an effortless ease to them which actually makes them stand out even more!!

Gorgeous as always and you know that I always look forward to reading your posts!! 🙂

25. Absolutely not boring at all. I actually don’t dress minimally yet but love the aesthetic and have noticed I’m starting to naturally gravitate to pieces that are far more plain but not boring. Love this post and your style is impeccable.

Sincerely, Sarah xx